Gastroschiasis - mnemonic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lothric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

What does the "the abdominal conents are coming out of the G" mean? I don't understand what the G represents here.

Not so sure about the one for omphalocele either - "Abdominal contents are sealed in the O".

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,

What does the "the abdominal conents are coming out of the G" mean? I don't understand what the G represents here.

Not so sure about the one for omphalocele either - "Abdominal contents are sealed in the O".

You don't need mnemonics. Med students would do well to become amateur etymologists.

1) Gastroschisis = gastro + schism, schism literally means split
2) Omphalocele = omphalos + coele, i.e. navel and hernia, this one you already know, because you know varicocele, meningocele, encephalocele etc.

You don't need mnemonics. Med students would do well to become amateur etymologists.

1) Gastroschisis = gastro + schism, schism literally means split
2) Omphalocele = omphalos + coele, i.e. navel and hernia, this one you already know, because you know varicocele, meningocele, encephalocele etc.

The first rule of med school imo.

Hey,

medicowesme+g+ompha.png