Evidence Based Review of Medical Mnemonics For USMLE Step 1 Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redbarron21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The following article reviews evidence for the effectiveness of using mnemonics as a study aid. The full article can be read here (Evidence Based Study Techniques to Crush USMLE Step 1). Full disclosure this is a link to my blog where multiple study techniques are reviewed including the two most popular: highlighting and rereading.
  • Keyword Mnemonics:
  • Definition: Using mental imagery to associate words and concepts.

• Dunlosky et al rated keyword mnemonics as having a low utility, however the majority of studies evaluated had the student create the mnemonic. The low utility rating was given due to concerns over the time consuming process of creating mnemonics and the concern for retaining mnemonics over long periods of time. (3)
    • The study did acknowledge the power of mnemonics stating "the overwhelming evidence that the keyword mnemonic can boost memory for many kinds of material and learners has made it a very popular technique."

• The study also showed that students who used mnemonics outperformed students who did not use mnemonics when tested immediately after the designated study period (See graphs below). This highlights a clear benefit for retaining knowledge in short term memory with use of mnemonics. (Useful for say the USMLE board exam).
  • One small study of 4th year medical students at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai compared one group who used mnemonics to learn the porphyrin biochemical pathway vs a control group. The mnemonic group scored 20% higher when tested 3 weeks later suggesting better long term memory retention for the mnemonic group. (2)

• Mnemonics are routinely used in the hospital setting for many pre-operative protocols and patient handoffs (I-PASS and SBAR) which have shown to decrease medical errors. (5, 6, 7)
    • Resources:
      • 1. Blasiman, R. N. Distributed concept reviews improve exam performance. Teaching of Psychology, 44 (1), 46-50. 2017.

• 2. De Moll, EH. "The use of an imagery mnemonic to teach the porphyrin biochemical pathway." Dermatology Online Journal. 16;21(4). April 2015.

• 3. Dunlosky et al. Improving Students Learning with Effective Learning Techniques. Psychological Science in the Public Interest.

• 4. Golding, J. et al. The Use of Flashcards in an Introduction to Psychology Class. Teaching of Psychology. 39 (3), 199-203. 2012.

• 5. Riesenberg, L. "Systemic review of handoff mnemonic literature." American Journal of Medical Quality. 24 (3). March 2009.

• 6. Starmer, A et al. "I-PASS, a Mnemonic to Standardize Verbal Handoffs." Pediatrics. 129 (2). Feb 2012.

• 7. Starmer, A et al. "Changes in Medical Errors After Implementation of a Handoff Program." New England Journal of Medicine. 2014; 371:1803-1812.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I mean who doesn't use mnemonics? Everyone does. This is so obvious that I was perplexed as to why it was even mentioned. What's the purpose? Until I went to the link and discovered it's your own blog, website and straight promoting lol. I personally am ok with that. Would be less shady if you honestly mentioned that it's your website link you are referring to. Just my opinion.
Have a nice day sir.

I mean who doesn't use mnemonics? Everyone does. This is so obvious that I was perplexed as to why it was even mentioned. What's the purpose? Until I went to the link and discovered it's your own blog, website and straight promoting lol. I personally am ok with that. Would be less shady if you honestly mentioned that it's your website link you are referring to. Just my opinion.
Have a nice day sir.

You are correct, the link is to my blog and I have added a disclosure to the post. All the information in the article is accurate, cited, and verifiable. During medical school, I made many of the study technique mistakes that were reviewed in the article that ended up being a waste of time such as highlighting and rereading.