Gaswork

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2win

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone browsed Gaswork in the last weeks - any good deals?
Any false claims regarding the salary and benefits?
Comments appreciated.
Thanks,
2win

Members don't see this ad.

In the states I'm licensed in & usually follow, the overall number of ads seems considerably down. Also, the posted salaries are off a bit (mid-low 300's).

I get emails from a recruiting company, and recently there have been a whole bunch of jobs in the SF Bay area where gaswork has none. Gaswork seems to always have the same jobs posted, most by recruiters, that never ever fill.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gaswork is an interesting website, but that's all. It is not nor has it ever been the be-all and end-all for anesthesia jobs. The best jobs aren't advertised, and the best candidates are those who actually do the legwork, make the phone calls, and send the resumes themselves, rather than letting a recruiter do it for them. My large group never uses Gaswork, hangs up on recruiters, and tosses their unopened mail in the trash.

jwk, just curious if you feel like this is true for new grads too, as far as the recruiters and sending out resumes....

Can't speak for JWK, but I think his reasoning holds for new grads. If you have to resort to a recruiter, you're either not very sharp or not very motivated. It's pretty simple to find hospitals in the area you want to work and start making phone calls. Likewise finding out where jobs are via networking.

Agree with above. Most good jobs are not gained through recruiters. Likewise, most good candidates are not found through recruiters. Most do the legwork themselves or hear about spots through networking.

jwk, just curious if you feel like this is true for new grads too, as far as the recruiters and sending out resumes....

Absolutely.

Who do I want to hire? The guy who thought himself "too busy" to mess with making phone calls, writing letters, and sending out resumes and lets a recruiter do it for him (and thinking his new employer will be so happy to have him and pay a 20% recruiting fee) - or - the guy who, despite being busy, still finds time to make the calls, write the letters, and sends out a resume all by himself, and happy to have a practice that would rather put the money the other group spent on a recruiters fee into a signon bonus or higher starting salary?

BTW, this applies to physicians and non-physicians alike.