Gaswork Job of the Week Two

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please keep this thread going!!! It hopefully will keep people from getting bad jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Please keep this thread going!!! It hopefully will keep people from getting bad jobs.

I don’t necessarily think it’s a “bad” job.
Lifestyle
Pick two.

If you like the cold, money as pointed out can be unicorn pay. Lifestyle Q3, but no mentioning of vacation..... if it’s 7 weeks (unlikely) or more? It can be a dream job for someone at least a few years?

If I was younger and love Canada, maybe I’d do a two year commitment to get myself out of the student loan hell.....

Members don't see this ad :)
How much student loan do you have? most people can refinance into something around 3% interest, no?

It isn’t horrible. I did do it with first republic, which brings it down even more; however it’s like 2.25% for five years.... so there’s some pressure if I don’t work. If I can cut that even shorter, it would be nice.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of details missing, but could be ok if you can stomach living in upstate NY.

Upstate NY is not really the northeast...more like Canada South with a lot more Confederate flags and heroin. It’s not an easy place to live without having ties. The weather is bad and the skiing is crummy. Outside of a few pockets of prosperity near universities, much of upstate NY is a hollowed out ghost town with weathered “For Sale” signs on a lot of houses.

Exactly right.

These jobs that demand working crazy hours, long commutes, crazy locations, why do that to yourself?

what do you so urgently need to buy/pay off with that extra 100-200k?

You can be financially secure in any city, go live your life where you want, working moderately for 400k - not a bad gig.

Reactions: 1 users
most md only places in urban/suburban hospitals. The top earning guys full partner make 700-800k max. That’s working 65-70 hours a week with as little as 3 weeks , 4 weeks off max.
Exactly right.

These jobs that demand working crazy hours, long commutes, crazy locations, why do that to yourself?

what do you so urgently need to buy/pay off with that extra 100-200k?

You can be financially secure in any city, go live your life where you want, working moderately for 400k - not a bad gig.
hate to tell you this. But in most urban suburban areas. You are gonna to be working like a dog for 400k with 6-7 weeks off. Both the pace of the cases plus the acuity is the cases.

smaller hospital are chill (for the most part) environment.

most md only places in urban/suburban hospitals. The top earning guys full partner make 700-800k max. That’s working 65-70 hours a week with as little as 3 weeks , 4 weeks off max.

hate to tell you this. But in most urban suburban areas. You are gonna to be working like a dog for 400k with 6-7 weeks off. Both the pace of the cases plus the acuity is the cases.

smaller hospital are chill (for the most part) environment.

that hasn't been my experience, good jobs are out there, why kill yourself or be unhappy for one thats just a little better

Reactions: 1 user

i dont think thats true. can easily make a little over 400k at even kaiser working 45 hours a week and taking home call. 45 hours a week def is not working like a dog.

i dont think thats true. can easily make a little over 400k at even kaiser working 45 hours a week and taking home call. 45 hours a week def is not working like a dog.

I think this is more in line with the reality right now. If you are “working like a dog” for 400k then you are both overworked and underpaid. 400k is probably the absolute floor nowadays for an employed job with reasonable workload. While private practice equity is still a rare unicorn in some areas, it’s not a bad time to be entering the anesthesia job market. There is a lot of need out there right now. It’s really not hard to “shake the tree” a little bit and find offers well above 400k with 8 or more weeks of vacation.

Know your value and don’t sign a stupid non-compete.

Reactions: 1 users