Gateway to Dentistry Summer 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tehassan

TheHunter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone--

I just completed my application for UMDNJ's Gateway to Dentistry program for summer 2012. Has anyone else applied? Specifically, can anyone speak to those of us who have shadowing experience, and whether that is a negative/positive for getting into this program? I have done some shadowing, and wrote that in my application. But I also wrote that I am looking for hands on clinical experience so I can be a better applicant to dental school. I received an email last week saying they didn't get my LOR (on the same day my professor confirmed sending it, in which I sent that email from my professor saying he sent it), but it should be there now. Ive heard a lot of people just get tossed out for simply having incomplete apps pre-March 1 deadline.

Any advice folks?

Thanks--

TEHASSAN

Members don't see this ad.

I applied too for the May semester, got in all my stuff around early-mid February. Dont remember what I wrote on the application though, I think I mentioned shadowing though.

I applied too for the May semester, got in all my stuff around early-mid February. Dont remember what I wrote on the application though, I think I mentioned shadowing though.
Im a little nervous. Did you read the other posts about GTD from last year? I'm wondering what the the criteria is this year, or if its even different than the last round of applicants. Do you know when we find out if we were accepted/denied?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone--

I just completed my application for UMDNJ's Gateway to Dentistry program for summer 2012. Has anyone else applied? Specifically, can anyone speak to those of us who have shadowing experience, and whether that is a negative/positive for getting into this program? I have done some shadowing, and wrote that in my application. But I also wrote that I am looking for hands on clinical experience so I can be a better applicant to dental school. I received an email last week saying they didn't get my LOR (on the same day my professor confirmed sending it, in which I sent that email from my professor saying he sent it), but it should be there now. Ive heard a lot of people just get tossed out for simply having incomplete apps pre-March 1 deadline.

Any advice folks?

Thanks--

TEHASSAN

This program is awesome from what I hear, however its super tough to get in, esp if you're an out of stare resident. I applied twice and got rejected twice. Ultimately it didnt mean anything, I still got into my top choices for dental school. Its a great program, just dont sweat it if you dont get in. It doesnt mean you can't get accepted into dental school (either UMDNJ or another dental school.)

Esp since you're from NYC, I wouldn't get my hopes up since this program doesnt seem to be geared towards OOS students.

Na im not sure when we find out, dont worry about it, if you make it , props to you, if not its no big deal, dont lose sleep over it!

I got in when I applied and I write exactly what you wrote down (I need more clinical experience, hands on). I included my work experience I my application too and still got in.

Its very competitive, and if you get init definitely helps your application and you aye likely to get accepted to UMDNJ.

Even though the website says otherwise but its true.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

It sounds like it. UMDNJ is my number one choice but moreover I want some of the clinical predental course experience in a university. Did anyone put in elsewhere? UOP just opened registration for their April course this Wednesday, and the link closes a week from then.

UPenn has a similar program called "Intro to Dentistry", cost in the ballpark of $1500 but well worth it. I know seats are limited, but might be worth looking into. Dr. Maggio runs the program

UPenn has a similar program called "Intro to Dentistry", cost in the ballpark of $1500 but well worth it. I know seats are limited, but might be worth looking into. Dr. Maggio runs the program

I heard thats an awesome program, does it increases your chances to get into UPenn?

Yeah, it sounds nice. I spoke to Dr. Maggio a few weeks ago actually and there was still 6 spots open. I just couldn't afford to go basically so I didn't apply.

Did anyone here sign up for the UMDNJ symposium on April 19th? If you did and you also applied for Gateway, do you think you'll have a less/higher/unrelated chance of getting into Gateway?

I did the symposium function but to be honest with it wasn't worth it. If I were you,I would still go to get your face out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

When we went to an open house at UMDNJ, I got the distinct impression that they do not care for out of staters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh...I didn't know they had a preference to in state, the ADEA guide shows them as in state 58/ oos 38 so I figured they gave some preference to in state but that they certainly give more preference to OOS in comparison to the schools in the south (like Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, etc...).

I heard thats an awesome program, does it increases your chances to get into UPenn?

Not sure if it gives you an edge in terms of being accepted, but I can say that it helps if your DAT and GPA are in the ballpark they are looking for. During this program, you will have the opportunity to meet everyone in admissions and become acquainted with the faculty. If your dexterity in the lab is exceptional, it will probably prompt an LOR. Take this information for what it is. Penn has an awesome program

I also applied to the GTD program and was waitlisted. I know the program is quite exclusive, and most ppl say selection is heavily based on GPA. I had a 4.0 when I applied last year and so I'm not sure if this is totally true... I think it's just really random. If you do get into the program, when you apply you're pretty much guaranteed an interview... Good luck!

Nothing yet. Hang tight everyone.

Is anyone also taking the DAT around the times these courses occur this summer? If you are, and you may get into one of these pre-dental sim labs/programs, how are you organizing your time?

I am also taking DAT this summer, in July maybe. I heard the application status for Gateaway to dentistry will be send on March 29th.

I know there's a part in the application that asks specifically for how many shadowing hours you have, is it even important to have shadowing hours in order to be accepted?

I have a friend who did Gateway to Dentistry for the Winter session and she said they emailed out acceptances like a week before they emailed out the rejections. I'm a little worried because then that means that if we didn't get an email yet, we didn't get in. It could be a different way they do it for the summer session, but I'm hoping they will email everyone this week regarding our status. I'm so worried! Good luck everyone! I wish we all get an opportunity like this! :)

Now I'm confused...how would we know if the acceptance emails/letters were sent out at this point? Do you positively know if someone has received an acceptance letter to base your point/date of reference on? Your statement is based on what someone did last Winter session, not this session...

Do you positively know that UMDNJ sent out acceptances on a specified date? Unless you know the actual date acceptances allegedly went out, there is no way you could calculate the rejection email (based on what you are saying it's a week after acceptances).

So...do you know the date acceptances went out?

Last edited:
Did anyone receive any notifications today?

I sent an email out a few days ago. UMDNJ basically made it clear nothing has been sent out yet, and we should hear back early April. Ms. Camacho will be sending out the email for the rejection/acceptance.

I would not worry. It looks to me like they are sending out only a few emails at a time and the email I recieved said I have until April 9th to respond or else they will give my spot to someone else, so im assuming more people will hear back then at the latest.

I see what Drncharly13 meant now. If you received an acceptance, congrats! If you received a rejection, I'm sorry :(. I wonder if you recieved nothing, if it means that your waitlisted waiting to hear back from who won't be able to attend? Hence why Drncharly13 said they send out rejectiobs a week after?

I just got my rejection. It says I've been placed on a waiting list until April 30.:(

Hey, I got waitlisted too! But hopefully it's a good thing. :) I'm going to stay positive and hope that the next time will be our chance. For everyone who got in, I hope they have a blast. I heard it's a great program. Good luck to everyone!

I think if you are diplomatic and time it, then it should no problem reaching out.

on another note, has everyone heard back/been waitlisted/rejected? Is there anyone who is still waiting to hear back?

I've heard nothing back unfortunately. Im wondering how much longer I should wait before sending out an email.

Ms. Camacho has sent everything out. I did not make the cut. :(I called today. If you haven't heard back it's probably because of an email issue. She's gone for the day.

I attended Gateway last summer. Don't worry if you didn't get in and just apply again.
The majority of the program were presentations on the specialties and shadowing students. The program is designed to motivate more students to consider dentistry. If you didn't get in, don't sweat it, just volunteer and shadow your local dentist. There are alot of free resources, read the ADSA website and magazine. One advantage of gateway is you get to meet other predents which is exciting.

That's ok. I'm not too bummed. I am going to a few other conferences and seminars this summer, and taking Kaplan, so I wasn't too angry/sad if I didn't get in. Better luck (for me) next time!