Gchem Quantum numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keliao

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so the quantum numbers for
Sodium is 3, 0, 0, 1/2

can some1 give me more example??
Ca 4, 0,...
K 4, 0,
Cr 3,

Members don't see this ad.

ok so the quantum numbers for
Sodium is 3, 0, 0, 1/2

can some1 give me more example??
Ca 4, 0,...
K 4, 0,
Cr 3,

You're not memorizing them are you? If the are all in the same Period, they will have the same quantum numbers with the exception of the Principal quantum number

Ca: n=4, l=0, ml=0, ms= 1/2 and -1/2

to add to this though, if an atom has just 2 electrons in its p subshell, well the ml be -1 or +1?

For example: C

It would have 2 electrons in its max p subshell, putting one electron in each of the 2 of the 3 orbitals...so what would the magnetic quantum number m(l) be?

Last edited:
i got n, l, ms but not really the concept of ml... can you give me more example..where ml is >1? thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
destroyer says. l can never exceed n, and ml must be equal to +- l thru zero.

think of these numbers this way: your giving directions to get to the electrons. the "n" tells you what outer layer it is located. so for sodium we have 1, 2 or 3!!

so your "l" tells you the shape of the orbital that the electron is located. it starts with 0 and goes all the way to n-1. your S subshell is 0, your P subshell is 1, your D is 2 and so on. sodium can have 0 or 1 depending on which electron we are talking about.

so the "ml" is now the location of the electron in the subshell (the orbital). its from -l.....0....+l
S has l=0 and its ml=0
P has l=1 and ml= -1, 0, +1 (the three possible spots/orbitals for the electron to be located)
D has l=2 and ml= -2, -1, 0 +1, +2 (5 possible spots)
and so on

hope that helped