GC Quantum Numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichiganStudent93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that in Bootcamp there are a few of these where I'm able to figure out the :thumbdown: and the (l), however i'm having trouble understanding the (ml). I know that (ml) is -l to +l. But, sometimes the answers include 2 numbers that could both be correct, so how would one go about in figuring out if it's 1 or 0 for example?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed that in Bootcamp there are a few of these where I'm able to figure out the :thumbdown: and the (l), however i'm having trouble understanding the (ml). I know that (ml) is -l to +l. But, sometimes the answers include 2 numbers that could both be correct, so how would one go about in figuring out if it's 1 or 0 for example?

Thank you
Does it ever tell you something like valence electrons? Like if you wanted to figure a possible quantum set for Calciums valence electrons, you know the valence electrons are in the 4s orbital and that in that case, l has to be 0 so ml has to be 0 since the s orbital is 0 for l.

so to figure this out:

draw all the circles out and then label each appropriately so if you are in a p orbital there are 3 suborbitals with -1, 0, and 1 designatrions. So draw out 3 circles and label each -1, 0, and 1.

Then figure out how many valence electrons you have. For example, lets say there are 5 valence electrons (an example would be chlorine) that are in the p orbital and you are looking for the quantum number of that 5th valence electron.

Put 1 electron in -1, then 0, and then 1 (this is hund's rule -- you need to fill up every suborbital with at least 1 electron before you can fill it up with 2 electrons). Note that you just used up 3 electrons. Once every orbital is filled, then add the 4th electron to -1 and then the 5th electron to 0. Congrats now you know the 5th electron is in 0)

____ ____ _____ (STEP 1 draw out suborbitals)
-1-----------0-----------1

__e1__ --> __e2__ --> _e3_ (STEP 2 fill out each orbital with 1 electron in order from least to highest)
-1-----------------0--------------1

__e1e4__ --> __e2e5__ --> __e3__ (STEP 3 add 2nd electron to each orbital lowest to highest)
-1----------------------0---------------1

Awesome, thanks guys. Really appreciate it.

Also, quick question. Do we get a calculator for the Natural Science section too or just for QR?

Members don't see this ad :)