GChem Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tom_servo_dds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
found this one on Topscore that I don't understand the answer to.

Q: What are the products of the balanced equation when iron (III) oxide reacts with magnesium chloride?

A:
A) FeCl3, Mg2O
B) FeCl2, MgO
C) FeCl3, MgO
D) Fe2Cl3, MgO
E) Fe3Cl2, Mg2O

Answer key says that it's C because "Fe2O3 + MgCl2 ==> FeCl3 MgO"

However, this isn't a balanced equation as the problem asks for. Anyone have any thoughts? I've been studying for about 14 hours today so maybe I'm just going cross-eyed again. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

tom_servo_dds said:

Q: What are the products of the balanced equation when iron (III) oxide reacts with magnesium chloride?

A:
A) FeCl3, Mg2O
B) FeCl2, MgO
C) FeCl3, MgO
D) Fe2Cl3, MgO
E) Fe3Cl2, Mg2O

However, this isn't a balanced equation as the problem asks for. Anyone have any thoughts? I've been studying for about 14 hours today so maybe I'm just going cross-eyed again. Thanks in advance!

The problem says "Iron (iii)" so the right answer is either A or C

A) FeCl3, Mg2O
C) FeCl3, MgO

MgCl2 tells me the valence of Mg = 2 & we know the valence of O = 2
so MgO is the right answer. [Mg2O means Oxygen has a valence of 4 << WRONG]

Thus, C is the only right answer. :)

tom_servo_dds said:

A:
A) FeCl3, Mg2O
B) FeCl2, MgO
C) FeCl3, MgO
D) Fe2Cl3, MgO
E) Fe3Cl2, Mg2O

Don't confuse yourself man, stay focused. The question is not asking for the balanced equation, only which products are formed. Goodluck.

slayerdeus said:
Don't confuse yourself man, stay focused. The question is not asking for the balanced equation, only which products are formed. Goodluck.

Great, thanks for the answer you two - that makes sense now. Best of luck to both of you too! :)