Gchem Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lonely Sol

cowgoesmoo fan!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a chemical reaction involving 6 atoms of oxygen and 3 atoms of phosphorus, how many grams of oxygen are required by 3.1 g of phosphorus?
A. 12.0 g O

B. 2.5 g O

C. 8.0 g O

D. 3.5 g O

E. 4.0 g O

How would you solve for this?

Members don't see this ad.

im just guessing....but if it takes 6 moles of Oxygen to react with 3 moles of Phosphorus then it should look something like this?

6O + 3P ---> Product

so then box it out
3.1g * (1 mole P/31 g P) * (6 mole O/ 3 mole P) * (16 g O/1 mole O) = 3.2 g of O...so I would choose D....am i correct?...if not that was only worth a shot

im just guessing....but if it takes 6 moles of Oxygen to react with 3 moles of Phosphorus then it should look something like this?

6O + 3P ---> Product

so then box it out
3.1g * (1 mole P/31 g P) * (6 mole O/ 3 mole P) * (16 g O/1 mole O) = 3.2 g of O...so I would choose D....am i correct?...if not that was only worth a shot

Well it says the answer is 8g, but I am getting the same thing you are getting (3.2g) I think the answer choices is wrong. It probably is 3.2g since you got the same as i did. We both wouldnt have done it wrong!

I was just wondering, it is okay to assums 6:3 mole ratio since the atoms ratio is 6:3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a bio question if anyone knows how to do it!

if we have hundrad moles of amino acid how much RNA we need
choices: 100 mole ... 20 mole... 10mole... 5mole... 1mole