GCHEM: Shells vs Orbitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basketballakev

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please explain to me the difference between shells and orbitals? I'm just a bit confused after reviewing Atomic Theory. Also, are shells within orbitals? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone please explain to me the difference between shells and orbitals? I'm just a bit confused after reviewing Atomic Theory. Also, are shells within orbitals? Thanks a lot!
Shells-->subshells-->orbitals-->spin number

Shells are the energy levels. The shells have subshells, which in turn have atomic orbitals. The orbitals are within the subshell. The azimuthal quantum numbers s, p, d and f designate the subshells. Consider the p subshell. It has 3 orbitals: px, py and pz. Each orbital can hold a total of 2 electrons, making 6 the total number of electrons a p subshell can house. The d subshell has 5 orbitals, and can hold a total number of ten electrons. The f subshell has 7 orbitals, and can house a total number of 14 electrons. Think of a shell as a neighborhood, a subshell as a house, and the orbitals as the different bedrooms within the house where the electrons stay. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user

Shells are the energy levels. The shells have subshells, which in turn have atomic orbitals. The orbitals are within the subshell. The azimuthal quantum numbers s, p, d and f designate the subshells. Consider the p subshell. It has 3 orbitals: px, py and pz. Each orbital can hold a total of 2 electrons, making 6 the total number of electrons a p subshell can house. The d subshell has 5 orbitals, and can hold a total number of ten electrons. The f subshell has 7 orbitals, and can house a total number of 14 electrons. Think of a shell as a neighborhood, a subshell as a house, and the orbitals as the different bedrooms within the house where the electrons stay. Hope this helps.

Great response!

Yes indeed! Thanks a lot!