Gear for your intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billygoat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hola everyone,
Hoping ya'll can fill me in on the books, manuals, and toys that helped you make your intern year as painless as possible. Starting in a week and would love to hear what helped each of you.

Thanks,
Billygoat

Members don't see this ad.

i really wouldnt buy too much before you start. textbooks are out of date even before they're printed and many hospitals have protocols or a just a culture of doing things their way, whether its supported by evidence or not.

besides a stethoscope and harriet lane (which we got free from the nestle good start people), i wouldnt get too much more. i had gift certificates to a medical textbook company that i had to use, so i got got a few books that i found useful, such as zitelli's atlas of pediatric diagnosis, a handbook on pediatric common on-call issues, and a nicu handbook. i really havent used them too much.

my hospital has online access to a million medical journals, and we have full access to up to date and other textbooks online throuhg md consult. we get a red book and subscriptions to peds in review, pediatrics journal, and other pediatric periodicals that are mailed to our homes through our membership in aap, which we are enrolled in as residents (find out if your program automatically enrolls you). plus many programs will have a handbook for certain rotations. for example, we have a nicu and picu handbook that previous residents made that provides us all the basics needed for the rotations.

so i would start your intern year and see what other residents in your program use. find out how much book money the program gives you and if you really need a book, see if you can use your book money to get it. and if you were planning to get some books before starting to catch up on some reading, don't do that. enjoy the last academic break you will have in a long time and catch up on some other enjoyable activities. and you wont have too much time to be reading a lot in your first few months of residency, so you definately have time to wait before you start stockpiling up on books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice scholes....
I've got the harriet lane and my pda and i'm holding off after that. Starting on monday on the floor so I'll see what my seniors are using and go from there.

Anyone else wanna throw me some knowledge?

Oh.. scholes, sweet rushmore reference.

Billygoat

In the NICU, a nice little pocket calculator (the sort from the dollar store) might help, but also on the general ward, to calculate drug dosages, caloric intake, urine output, etc. That is, if you're not logged on to a computer or PDA while doing all the calculations anyway.
In order to distract toddlers, any smooth-surfaced (disinfectable) stethoscope attachment works - but you can also just take a spare tongue depressor and put a little sticker or two on the tip - they will try to grab and play with your toys while you auscultate their hearts and lungs.