ged or stick it out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ugh

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a soon to be senior in highschool with a 1.5 gpa due to family problems. i have a 31 act, but i plan on going straight to community college anyways. should i just get my ged and go to college or stick it out in highschool? i feel like im wasting my time here.

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to your HS counselor.

Members don't see this ad :)
She isn't very competent. I hate to say it but i would chose sdn advice over hers.

:thumbup: My experience with them as well
Honestly, I'd just get the GED, HS isn't worth sticking around for. Just make sure when you go to a CC you pick a degree (which you will use to transfer to a university with) that doesn't require you taking a lot of science classes at that CC. That way you can save your premed coursework for university level classes and avoid that whole prereqs at CC vs. University debate. For example, major in the humanities or something at the CC, then after you transfer start taking your premed classes (or you could even change your major to a science once you're out of the CC).

I had plenty of smart friends in high school who got the GED and ended up at good universities after a year or two at a CC.

Also, I'm not sure, but don't you need a 2.0 to graduate HS? So isn't the GED your only choice? Or does that have a GPA requirement too.

If your grades suffered due to family problems, how would going straight to CC change that? Is it bcos u'll be moving away from home? The reason I ask is simple:
1. CC courses will be more demanding than HS, obviously so if the root cuase of your academic difficulties don't change don't expect better performance.

2. Skipping some HS classes may disadvantage you in CC or Univ, unless if you're sufficiently ahead in HS.

Think it through and talk about it with people who know you personal circumstances, there's too much that I don't know about u to give the best advice. U can see a CC advisor too.

Goodluck & stay strong

:thumbup: My experience with them as well
Honestly, I'd just get the GED, HS isn't worth sticking around for. Just make sure when you go to a CC you pick a degree (which you will use to transfer to a university with) that doesn't require you taking a lot of science classes at that CC. That way you can save your premed coursework for university level classes and avoid that whole prereqs at CC vs. University debate. For example, major in the humanities or something at the CC, then after you transfer start taking your premed classes (or you could even change your major to a science once you're out of the CC).

I had plenty of smart friends in high school who the GED and ended up at good universities after a year or two at a CC.

thanks for the advice, how soon could i get my ged? i think college registration ends at the end of the month

If your grades suffered due to family problems, how would going straight to CC change that? Is it bcos u'll be moving away from home? The reason I ask is simple:
1. CC courses will be more demanding than HS, obviously so if the root cuase of your academic difficulties don't change don't expect better performance.

2. Skipping some HS classes may disadvantage you in CC or Univ, unless if you're sufficiently ahead in HS.

Think it through and talk about it with people who know you personal circumstances, there's too much that I don't know about u to give the best advice. U can see a CC advisor too.

Goodluck & stay strong

i am no longer in a bad family situation.

In many areas they have free community college for people who didn't graduate high school. If your area has a program like that, I would reconsider getting a GED, at least for now. You don't need a GED or any high school equivalent to get into a community college. I am going into my senior year at University of Washington and don't have any kind of high school equivalency; it simply isn't necessary if you plan on receiving higher education anyway (and are going to community college first). I would contact a community college counselor and ask about financial aid for non-graduates.

thanks for the advice, how soon could i get my ged? i think college registration ends at the end of the month

I haven't taken it but I looked online a bit and seems like you just need to find a testing center, contact them, and show up. It appears you register on site so I'm not sure if you have to do anything before hand.

http://www.acenet.edu/AM/Template.cfm?Section=GED_TS
Here's the official testing site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GED#How_the_test_works
Here's what's on it
http://www.acenet.edu/resources/GED/center_locator.cfm
and that's how you locate a center

The problem is waiting for your score (which takes 2-3 weeks) so I'm not sure you'll make the registration deadline. That shouldn't be a big problem though? Can't you register at the start of the next semester as well? If you can, then just "make up" the first semester over the following summer and spend your empty semester studying and catching up with things you missed in high school like Bernoull said.

If you don't need a GED/HS diploma (which I wasn't aware of) then you could just register right now anyways so no problem there either.

Don't some medical schools require a high school diploma? I know of at least one.

Don't some medical schools require a high school diploma? I know of at least one.
ged=hs diploma. but yeah, unless you're in a shaky parallel enrollment program, everyone needs a hs completion.

Let me rephrase: Some medical schools don't accept GEDs. GED =/= high school diploma, sometimes. However, most medical schools probably accept GEDs; I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Let me rephrase: Some medical schools don't accept GEDs. GED =/= high school diploma, sometimes. However, most medical schools probably accept GEDs; I wouldn't worry about this too much.
GEDs always equal high school diplomas.

They are general equivalency diplomas. They are considered, by the state of whatever, to be equivalent to a high school diploma.

That is to say, one more time, GED=DIPLOMA.

i'm sure there is probably a certain degree of remedial classes i need to take, or a test that i take to see what level i am at math, english, and science wise. i am really at a crossroads with this.

i'm sure there is probably a certain degree of remedial classes i need to take, or a test that i take to see what level i am at math, english, and science wise. i am really at a crossroads with this.

Usually they'll give you a placement test and show you what classes you qualify for. I say you should get out of highschool and go for a CC, if you think you can handle it. Highschool wastes so much time, and when you start the CC you'll have a clean slate. Brand new GPA. Just work hard at it, and you'll do fine.

i am a soon to be senior in highschool with a 1.5 gpa due to family problems. i have a 31 act, but i plan on going straight to community college anyways. should i just get my ged and go to college or stick it out in highschool? i feel like im wasting my time here.

I know someone who got a GED, graduated from college and grad school (PhD) and is now a college professor. Also, if you want to enlist in the military to work in military intelligence or cryptography (and earn money for college through the GI Bill), a high school diploma is almost required in addition to a strong score on the AFQT.

By the way, nobody really cares where you went to high school when you apply for medical school.

Last edited:

They are general equivalency diplomas. They are considered, by the state of whatever, to be equivalent to a high school diploma.

A GED is an "equivalency" for the high school diploma. I am not in any way knocking GEDs, but there is a small difference. The difference being, you did not graduate high school, but you did do coursework that is "equal" to such.

A GED is an "equivalency" for the high school diploma. I am not in any way knocking GEDs, but there is a small difference. The difference being, you did not graduate high school, but you did do coursework that is "equal" to such.
If you have a GED, you have finished HS. The end. Who cares how the hell you got the diploma as long as there's text on that says that you've done it.

Actually, equivalency is in the eye of the beholder. From some Washington State Board of Colleges, "Most colleges and employers accept a GED credential as being equivalent to a high school diploma. " The key word here being most, means that some colleges and employers don't accept the GED as equivalent to a high school diploma. While the fact that someone completed a GED and not a high school diploma probably will never matter, it might and the OP should know that.

Also OP, look into your local community colleges, for something like a Night High School. Ours has one and basically condenses the classroom time down for people who left high school recently but want a diploma. And I highly doubt that you would be able to complete the GED to register for fall classes. Realize that to get the GED, you actually have to pass at least 5 separate subject tests, and depending on where you are taking them, there may be significant hoops to jump through before they will let you sit for each one.