Geez, practice problems = time consuming.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemcat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a poor decision to review content first and then tackle problems after I finished learning an entire subject. I didn't realize how many gaps there are in my understanding of the material.

Anyways, I find myself doing 150 questions for EK 1001 + reviewing them, and 10 passages of TPRH + review can take me an entire day. I don't know if I'm incredibly slow paced and beinf inefficient with my time. Does this sound normal for you? I study about 8 hours a day.

Members don't see this ad.

that's about average. I've gotten through 6 TBR passages today, at hour 7, but I've been way too slow. On average I get about 10 TBR review passages and ~50 EK 1001 a day.

man i did NOT want to hear this. but i am not surprised and i probably needed to. gotta get over wanting to feel comfortable with all content review and get on some PROBLEMS soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
I made a poor decision to review content first and then tackle problems after I finished learning an entire subject. I didn't realize how many gaps there are in my understanding of the material.

Anyways, I find myself doing 150 questions for EK 1001 + reviewing them, and 10 passages of TPRH + review can take me an entire day. I don't know if I'm incredibly slow paced and beinf inefficient with my time. Does this sound normal for you? I study about 8 hours a day.

I am doing the same thing but I am doing a third of two thirds of the BR and maybe like a third in every section of the 1001 EK books. I have three more sections left in physics and bio, 4 in orgo and for chemistry 7 left :( (and im a chemistry major too) but the chapters are long though

I thought I was the only one. I bought kaplan flashcards and go through them on the days where I do passages/problems.

Reviewing the chapters again is very time consuming as well. And i can't review then do questions because I'm using TPR, EK books...not just one book that I can follow.

I hope I get used to the questions so I dont take forever in answering them

@IloveMCAT, did you already finish ALL of your content review, for both PS and BS??? I was wondering bc its been a while since you've posted and I was in almost exactly the same situation as you. I totally feel your pain, and i find myself spending double the amount of time i anticipated in some areas that I am very weak.

my advice is to do thorough reading and rereading, after you do about 2-3 passages on a topic per day. Then, a week later, go back and do more passages out of TPRH workbook; this has been good for me and you may want to try this strategy.

@IloveMCAT, did you already finish ALL of your content review, for both PS and BS??? I was wondering bc its been a while since you've posted and I was in almost exactly the same situation as you. I totally feel your pain, and i find myself spending double the amount of time i anticipated in some areas that I am very weak.

my advice is to do thorough reading and rereading, after you do about 2-3 passages on a topic per day. Then, a week later, go back and do more passages out of TPRH workbook; this has been good for me and you may want to try this strategy.

Na, I'm not finished yet. Sad, I know lol. I didn't do too hot in my undergrad pre-reqs, so much of what I'm studying is being learned for the first time. I'm also using EK, TBR, and TPR which has slowed me down a lot but it gives me a far better understand of the material. One of the mistakes I made is poor time-management. Rather than focusing solely on content, I should have included practice early on. Now I find my self trying to figure out how and when I'll fit these practice passages into my schedule.

I read TPRH Biology twice, a month ago and didn't do any passages. Then I started Physics (worked a bit with NOVA) but focused mainly on TPRH with slight review in TBR. Again, no passage practice. I also held of on the last 3 Physics Chapters (Electromagnetism & Electrostatics, Circuits) until I gained a better understanding of its chemistry.

Right now, I'm working my way through Gen. Chem. and I anticipate finishing June 25. Then I'll finish Physics + Passages by June 30th (hopefully). On July 1st through 7th, I'll do Organic Review + Passages. And those last 13 days will be used to refresh Biology + do passages and briefly review all subjects to reduce my problem areas.

I plan on doing FL's from July 20th to July 28th.
MCAT - July 30th.

Last edited:
Na, I'm not finished yet. Sad, I know lol. I didn't do too hot in my undergrad pre-reqs, so much of what I'm studying is being learned for the first time. I'm also using EK, TBR, and TPR which has slowed me down a lot but it gives me a far better understand of the material. One of the mistakes I made is poor time-management. Rather than focusing solely on content, I should have included practice early on. Now I find my self trying to figure out how and when I'll fit these practice passages into my schedule.

I read TPRH Biology twice, a month ago and didn't do any passages. Then I started Physics (worked a bit with NOVA) but focused mainly on TPRH with slight review in TBR. Again, no passage practice. I also held of on the last 3 Physics Chapters (Electromagnetism & Electrostatics, Circuits) until I gained a better understanding of its chemistry.

Right now, I'm working my way through Gen. Chem. and I anticipate finishing June 25. Then I'll finish Physics + Passages by June 30th (hopefully). On July 1st through 7th, I'll do Organic Review + Passages. And those last 13 days will be used to refresh Biology + do passages and briefly review all subjects to reduce my problem areas.

I plan on doing FL's from July 20th to July 28th.
MCAT - July 30th.

Lol. Out of curiosity, how much of info are you retaining?

Lol. Out of curiosity, how much of info are you retaining?

I'm having a hard time remembering Biology facts but because of how in depth I studied (2 months ago), it'll be easy to review and recall most of those details. I plan on re-reading EK Biology. Physics for the most part, is still fresh. And I'm working on Gen Chem right now.

And organic 0% (haven't studied it yet, lol) since my professor used old exams and many students including myself made a habit memorizing the old exams rather than learning the material.

I'm having a hard time remembering Biology facts but because of how in depth I studied (2 months ago), it'll be easy to review and recall most of those details. I plan on re-reading EK Biology. Physics for the most part, is still fresh. And I'm working on Gen Chem right now.

And organic 0% (haven't studied it yet, lol) since my professor used old exams and many students including myself made a habit memorizing the old exams rather than learning the material.

What about Verbal?

I'm opposite of you - almost no content review in terms of reading, and just problems. I'm not doing excellent, but there are TONS of problems I have to do, and content review just seems too long. :sleep:

@IloveMCAT,

You read through TPR bio twice?!?! props on that. that sh** is THICK. I personally would stick to E.K; I am a bio major but I think E.K covers everything pretty well.

Also, I haven't taken Phys II yet ( start 2 weeks) but I taught myself everything on E.M and circuits and it took a LONG time. It took me about a good week or so, so i totally feel your frustration of having to learn everything as opposed to reviewing b/c it definitely impedes progress and slows you down.

Best of luck.

What about Verbal?

I'm opposite of you - almost no content review in terms of reading, and just problems. I'm not doing excellent, but there are TONS of problems I have to do, and content review just seems too long. :sleep:

I took a few EK 101 Verbal Tests and have been consistentally scoring 12 points on average. I stopped for now because I wanted to conserve the few sets I have left (about ~8 EK) and instead focus on my main problem areas ... the sciences.

@IloveMCAT,

You read through TPR bio twice?!?! props on that. that sh** is THICK. I personally would stick to E.K; I am a bio major but I think E.K covers everything pretty well.

Also, I haven't taken Phys II yet ( start 2 weeks) but I taught myself everything on E.M and circuits and it took a LONG time. It took me about a good week or so, so i totally feel your frustration of having to learn everything as opposed to reviewing b/c it definitely impedes progress and slows you down.

Best of luck.

It took me ages to read the entire 300+ pages but because I took time to understand it the first time around, it was easier to re-read.

And yeah, everything's definetly do-able. I barely passed my Gen Chem class because I felt the exams were hard as heck. Anyways, I stumbled upon old class exams and it's suprising how much I understand the material now (in a span of 2-3 weeks) than I did before in 1 semester.

I took a few EK 101 Verbal Tests and have been consistentally scoring 12 points on average. I stopped for now because I wanted to conserve the few sets I have left (about ~8 EK) and instead focus on my main problem areas ... the sciences.

12 on average? :whoa:That's pretty awesome.

I think you will be OK... I mean, there's not much you can do at this point than just practice. And as far as understanding things better on MCAT, I think that's especially true for PS to most people regardless of background. That's mainly because the level that MCAT goes into for PS isn't that deep. I mean, titration and buffer curves for example... Some of those questions are so rudimentary (compared to ugly ones that took a page and half to finish in my analytical chemistry class).