Geisinger Commonwealth MBS 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDsquad107

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I didnt see a thread for 2021 so I thought I'd start one. Did anybody apply to the MBS program for Geisinger yet? I just got accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m in the process of applying. Super excited. @MDsquad107 what start date are you applying for, July or October?

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied yesterday! My stats aren’t great so I’m a little nervous, but applied for fall

Reactions: 1 user
You should hear within 10-14 business days. For me it was exactly 14 days since app completed. @camiclover

I applied as well for Fall 21' and got accepted. Is the program going to be only online or will we be able to be on campus?

I applied as well for Fall 21' and got accepted. Is the program going to be only online or will we be able to be on campus?
Its only online for the rest of 2021

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone mind sharing their stats? My stats are low so I’m worried. It’d be great if anyone knows someone accepted around these stats. cGPA: 2.55 sGPA: 2.3 MCAT:496 300+ volunteer hours, 1 year working as a pharmacy technician and 4 years working as an anesthesia technician

Hey, all! I submitted my application yesterday. I applied for the July 2021 cohort. Anyone else for July?

I hope to hear back and I hope it's in my favor!!!

Also, is there an interview? I didn't see anywhere on the application checklist that there was one...

Thanks!

Hey there everyone! Just got accepted to the program, starting in July! Figured I’d join in.

Hi everyone! I was just accepted into this program today so I thought I would also join in. I'll be starting in July, super excited!

Hi everyone! I start this year! I have an odd question. I was curious if anyone knows anyone with the Syllabi from 2020? especially for Biochem and Cell Biology... I know the 2021 schedule will be a bit different but just may help me wrap my head around the pacing, material, etc. Anyway, thanks so much!!

Does anyone know if a lot of students apply to medical school while in the program, or do most usually wait until after it's done and they've received the MBS degree?

Hello everyone!

I am also starting in July and I am wondering if any of you are Choosing between programs. right now I’m deciding between Geisinger and Touro Masters. Any insight will help. Thank you all!

Does anyone know if a lot of students apply to medical school while in the program, or do most usually wait until after it's done and they've received the MBS degree?
I asked this same question and it seems like most apply after completion of the program. I am currently preparing to apply to MD and DO schools in hopes I will get accepted and begin right after completing the masters program.

i am also planning on doing the same thing. the curriculum looked a little weird. on the app it said 9+ credits was fulltime but for the 3rd quarter they only have 8 credits listed. And if you are full time during 3rd quarter, it seems you would finish the program by June 2022 (october 2021 start date). I emailed the admissions people and they basically did not give me a straight answer and said I would have to discuss this with them upon acceptance. But I really don't feel like spending a year doing nothing when all that info will be fresh in my mind.
Exactly. Thats why I decided to start during the summer and make sure I’d be able to start (God willing) medical school the fall after.

Exactly. Thats why I decided to start during the summer and make sure I’d be able to start (God willing) medical school the fall after.
I'm in the same boat! I'm preparing to apply to MD and DO as well. Really hoping I get in somewhere so I don't have to take an additional gap year after the program finishes :/ I was hoping I could just send grade updates from the MBS classes to the schools I apply to. I'm starting next month too!

I'm in the same boat! I'm preparing to apply to MD and DO as well. Really hoping I get in somewhere so I don't have to take an additional gap year after the program finishes :/ I was hoping I could just send grade updates from the MBS classes to the schools I apply to. I'm starting next month too!
SAME HERE. Also are you stuck between programs?? I’m leaning towards geisinger simply because it’s online, I have one that’s close to home but it’ll be like an hour travel there and back. And that’s time that could be used for studying lol

SAME HERE. Also are you stuck between programs?? I’m leaning towards geisinger simply because it’s online, I have one that’s close to home but it’ll be like an hour travel there and back. And that’s time that could be used for studying lol
I'm gonna stick with Geisinger! With it being online it just ends up being more convenient for me, and I'm saving money by just living at home instead of trying to find an apartment!

Hi everyone,

As long as all the application requirements including: LORs, applications fee, test scores, are all checked off, my application is considered complete correct?
Thank you

Hi everyone,

As long as all the application requirements including: LORs, applications fee, test scores, are all checked off, my application is considered complete correct?
Thank you
Yup!

Hello everyone!

Did anyone get the orientation information yesterday or information on the first day of classes for the summer 2021?

I just received my cost of attendance and financial aid reward letter. Which parts of the cost of attendance is necessary? I will be living with my parents given the program is online and I see "MBS OnLine Rent for ~$,5,500" and other things such as MBS OnLine Transportation, is this just their estimated cost of living that I will be needing or something I need to pay?

I just received my cost of attendance and financial aid reward letter. Which parts of the cost of attendance is necessary? I will be living with my parents given the program is online and I see "MBS OnLine Rent for ~$,5,500" and other things such as MBS OnLine Transportation, is this just their estimated cost of living that I will be needing or something I need to pay?
This is just the estimated cost. I'm living at home too so those costs don't apply to us. It just gives you all that info so if you were living on campus you would know how much more to borrow if that makes sense. I also had this question and emailed their financial aid email and they were helpful.

Has anyone received any information on tomorrow? It’s supposed to be the first day of classes and i have gotten NOTHING

Has anyone received any information on tomorrow? It’s supposed to be the first day of classes and i have gotten NOTHING
Have you set up your GCSOM email and Canvas? All the info is on there.

This is just the estimated cost. I'm living at home too so those costs don't apply to us. It just gives you all that info so if you were living on campus you would know how much more to borrow if that makes sense. I also had this question and emailed their financial aid email and they were helpful.
Makes sense. Thank you!

I was just accepted for the Fall 2021 class. So from what I understand the program ends Sept 25th, 2022, and is fully online this year, I'm worried it would conflict with medical school because I am applying right now. Also, I'm curious how the linkage for this program works if the program won't even be finished by the time their medical school starts.

I’ve been accepted for the Fall semester!

I applied super early for Summer 21 and eventually changed it to Fall 21 once accepted. It took them at least two months to hear back from them. It took so long my mentor sent me that passive "I'm concerned" message. Then one day Alysha from Admissions emailed and asked me if I planned to take Physics II before starting and I of course said yes and forced myself to take it during an accelerated semester (but did well, praise the sky gods). Once I told her yes I received the "yes" from Geisinger about 1-week later.

Does anyone know how long we have to make a decision? Is there a certain amount of time I must commit by after getting accepted?

Does anyone know how long we have to make a decision? Is there a certain amount of time I must commit by after getting accepted?
So, it looks like it varies for decisions. I applied as soon as the application cycle opened and it took about 3 months to hear back. Once I received the acceptance, I received weekly emails saying that I needed to confirm and pay the seat deposit or I risk losing it. When I emailed about the timeframe, I was told there really wasn't one but 30 days would be best. I took about 2 months to reserve my seat as I having a hard time picking this program over another I was accepted into. Good luck :)