Geisinger (GCSOM) vs Temple (LKSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billhaderfan32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hiiii so i promised myself i wouldn't post a thread here but decision day is approaching quickly and i really don't know what to do, so just wanted to get some opinions from others who have maybe faced a similar situation.

i was accepted to temple med (lksom) which is a DREAM school for me. i want to be a primary care physician doing street medicine in the future, & i have a few years' experience doing outreach/harm reduction work w unhoused folks. my heart is very much in that area of medicine, and temple has a strong emphasis on serving those in the philly community who face the most housing insecurity. i always pictured my med school experience involving the ability to do street outreach & i know i'd be able to make that happen at temple. i also had my favorite interview w one of the faculty members at temple, for whatever that's worth. we spent the whole 30 mins talking about harm reduction and it made me so excited to potentially attend an institution where i could expand my knowledge on this topic i feel so passionately about. i believe i'd find a lot of like-minded people there, plus i have wanted to live in philly for a few years now. only catch (& it's important) - no merit aid whatsoever

i also was accepted into the abigail geisinger scholars' program at gcsom in scranton, which i'm very grateful for! it entails a full ride plus $2k/month stipend which is super enticing. i would jump on this opportunity, but my only hesitation is the fact that i would need to work within the geisinger healthcare system for my first 4 years as a doctor post-residency. as someone who has a pretty clear idea of where i want to take my medical career (at least at the moment), i am not thrilled at the idea of being restricted to only working somewhere in northeastern PA. i also am unsure of how many opportunities there are at geisinger to study street medicine and harm reduction/how prominent that topic even is in scranton. it scares me to think that i may not be able to work in the area of medicine i am most passionate about due to a loan repayment program. i want to be smart about this decision though! at the end of the day an MD is an MD no matter where you get it from, and it seems like there may be more opportunities for me to sorta trailblaze the opportunities that i ideally hoped to see at geisinger.

this is a VERY good problem to have - at the beginning of the cycle i remember saying i'd be happy to get in anywhere so i'm extremely excited that i even have a choice to make in the first place! ty for any input you may have xoxo

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations, awesome choices. Temple b/c the location and it is where you heart lies. The scholarship is too restrictive of your career aspirations.