Geisinger Health System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I interviewed here and wanted to share what I learned. This program is very clinically oriented, but there are research opportunities for interested residents.

Pros:
- Strong clinical experience - ~120 phakos/year, at/above minimum for all other procedures
- Residents do all their training at the Geisinger campus in Danville
- 3-year continuity clinic - residents have their own patients
- Big multispecialty clinic where residents essentially serve as the comprehensive ophthalmologists
- No fellows
- Option to do 2-week overseas rotation in PGY-4 year
- BCSC and lenses provided
- All subspecialties represented
- 24/7 wet lab with sheep eye
- Lots of ancillary staff to help with rooming, etc.
- Nicest hospital cafeteria I've ever seen!

Cons:
- No university affiliation (though some ties to Wills)
- No VA
- No EyeSi, but there is another simulator

Overall, I really enjoyed the interview day. Residents and faculty were very friendly and approachable. Clinical experience seems very solid. Fellowship matches were concentrated in the region but some were in CA. I think this is an underrated program that, with its focus on clinical experience, could be a perfect fit for some applicants.