Gen Chem Question (Regarding titrations)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pajamasam9090

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The question is how much HCL is added if 20mL solution of 1M NaOH is titrated with 1M solution of HCL to get a pH of 2.

Alright. Pretty much the only thing I get about it is that it will take 20mL of HCl to completely neutralize everything. I have seen the answer done, and it still didn't make any sense so hopefully someone here can go slowwwww and explain each step! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So you almost want to "start" at neutral pH before you start tackling the problem.

My attempt at the problem i started like this:

2 = -log[H+] which = .01 I then knew that I would need the concentration of H+ to be .02 larger than OH-... I think maybe that's where I got confused?

I think that explanation clears it up... I would have never thought to use M1V1 = M2V2 which seems to make it easier if you think about it.

Thanks!

I thought that question was really shady. I got 20.4 mL but I chose 20.2 instead of none of these because I thought it was close enough or I might had made some approximations. Does anyone know if the actual DAT is shady like that?