Gen. Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnumber24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just completed my first semester of college and for chemistry I did not like the direction I was going and the grade I was going to get. So I got an NC or NP as I think it is better known as. What do you guys think of my decision? How will it be looked at down the road when I apply to medical school? will it be catastrophic or will it be somewhat overlooked and not be seen in a bad way because it occured in my first semester? Thanks in advance for the advice and opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know it is ok if you have one or two np or w. Just don't make a habit of it.

0002e8zx.jpg

Don't worry about a withdrawal early on. Just don't make it a pattern.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not gonna get in now. Best chance you have is taking SMP after graduation and then applying. You better get a 39 on your MCAT to make up for that too!

Big deal, I took a W for bio 1 this last fall semester so I could get an A in calc 1 & gen chem 2 as opposed to B's for all of them due to time constraints. Just retake gen chem, get those A's, and no one will (or shouldn't) care. :)

Yep, just make sure you have an explanation for the adcom. Sounds like your current one is fine: you got off to a rough start and you didn't want to fight it the rest of the semester. Better to start next semester fresh and have an A to show for it.

Is it just me or are more first year college students freaking out than usual around here?? Nothing against OP, just a coincidence I'm sure.

Though in all seriousness I would just keep the med school thing on the back of your mind, and just focus on immediate tasks. If you spend your entire college career worrying what will adcoms think of every nuance of your life you're likely to go insane. Just kind of take one semester at a time at least until you start getting close to mcat time.

that sucks that you're gonna have to take Gen Chem I second semester of freshman year... that class was hard, huh? yeah... i worked more in that class than all my other classes combined :( Anyway, good luck to 'ya! :)