Use AP Credits for Gen-eds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KrazyKid25

Reaction score
Hey all. Currently a HS senior entering college this fall. Should I use the AP Credits I have right now (mostly humanities credits) to satisfy my gen ed requirements in college, or should I retake these courses regardless to boost my cGPA? Speaking of GPA, is cGPA even that important in comparison to sGPA, or are they looked at relatively equally?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend you use the AP credits to satisfy the gen eds. That way you can have a lower course load and can focus more on getting good grades in pre-reqs. Just because you use AP credits doesn't mean you are obligated to fill your schedule with other things instead.

Reactions: 1 user
I came in with 62 credit hours from AP & Dual Enrollment. That allowed me to focus on taking classes that I really wanted to take (Chemistry) instead of adding a bunch of fluff to it and overloading my schedule. The room also allowed me to add on a double major later in my undergrad (Physics).

Those credits will give you flexibility. That is invaluable!

Absolutely. Especially if they are gen-ed/humanities; to echo what others have said, it gives you credits to move on to more interesting things instead of being bogged down in pesky distribution requirements.

Thanks to AP credits I found out randomly during junior year that I'd already fulfilled enough credits for a dual degree and all I had to do was declare :).

Reactions: 1 user