Gen Surg AI mock orals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PGY-5 starting to think seriously about board prep and I keep seeing AI oral board prep stuff that has launched in the last year or so (BTK, gensurgmockorals.com, boardbot).
I’ve only tried the free trial on gensurgmockoral so far and I was actually pretty impressed with it. My only hesitation is that it can hallucinate or reinforce something wrong. Just wanted to see if anyone else can chime in on their thoughts and if I should continue or ditch it for more reliable sources.
 
PGY-5 starting to think seriously about board prep and I keep seeing AI oral board prep stuff that has launched in the last year or so (BTK, gensurgmockorals.com, boardbot).
I’ve only tried the free trial on gensurgmockoral so far and I was actually pretty impressed with it. My only hesitation is that it can hallucinate or reinforce something wrong. Just wanted to see if anyone else can chime in on their thoughts and if I should continue or ditch it for more reliable sources.

I'm not sure I would go with AI only... I've seen enough errors from AI on things that I wouldn't trust it as a study tool.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I felt the best practice was doing mock orals with my peers. I took my GS orals 4 years ago (fairly recent) and AI was definitely not a thing. I dont imagine the majority of users here will have experience with it. You will likely be the first class and would know better than others on its quality. If you have a trusted source that has it, like BTK, might be worth a shot. I would just say your baseline fund of knowledge should be pretty strong so you can catch when AI is incorrect. I played around with AI for my CT oral boards and didnt find it that useful, although, there is no pre-made AI software specific for CT boards and Im not that savvy with AI.
 
PGY-5 starting to think seriously about board prep and I keep seeing AI oral board prep stuff that has launched in the last year or so (BTK, gensurgmockorals.com, boardbot).
I’ve only tried the free trial on gensurgmockoral so far and I was actually pretty impressed with it. My only hesitation is that it can hallucinate or reinforce something wrong. Just wanted to see if anyone else can chime in on their thoughts and if I should continue or ditch it for more reliable sources.

I can tell you from experience that if you spend time collecting appropriate resources and use them as sources in Claude, it can come up with some pretty reasonable questions with branching stems.

That being said I would not trust it to "grade" my responses in an interactive manner. I think best practice would be to generate scenarios to use with a study group.