-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Gen Surg blocks as part of any OB/Gyn program?
Started by Cholinergic
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Thought I would ask this here before I search FRIEDA. Are there any OB/Gyn programs that include any Gen Surg blocks? Thanks.
Haven't heard of any, but that doesn't mean that there are not any. I have seen programs with an ICU and/or anesthesia block.
Yeah, I've seen some places have Family Medicine or Gen Med blocks as well.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Global Disrobal
Along for the ride
Moderator Emeritus
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
SICU is the closest you'll likely come to hanging out with the Gen Surg kids!
Thought I would ask this here before I search FRIEDA. Are there any OB/Gyn programs that include any Gen Surg blocks? Thanks.
Is there a specific reason that you would want a GS block? If the concern is attaining surgical skills/competency etc. there are quite a few OBGYN programs that can give you that.
I remember one program in CA having a gen surg block, but I can't remember which one right now.
I remember one program in CA having a gen surg block, but I can't remember which one right now.
It isn't my program.
Is there a specific reason that you would want a GS block? If the concern is attaining surgical skills/competency etc. there are quite a few OBGYN programs that can give you that.
I guess I was thinking it would be nice to learn how to manage surgical complications (ie nicking the bladder or bowel) that might occur during procedures.
Riverside Methodist (Columbus, OH)- contains a gen. surg block
Stonybrook - contains a urology block
Thanks 👍
I guess I was thinking it would be nice to learn how to manage surgical complications (ie nicking the bladder or bowel) that might occur during procedures.
You'll learn this on your ob/gyn rotations.
Some programs offer rotations with the breast service, usually in the 3rd or 4th year though. We had a SICU rotation at UCI during intern year.
I guess I was thinking it would be nice to learn how to manage surgical complications (ie nicking the bladder or bowel) that might occur during procedures.
Gyn Onc will teach you this - my gyn onc attendings do more crazy surgical procedures than some of the general surgeons. Bowel resections, Ureteral reimplantations, extenterations...
To the point that two weeks ago, during a case with a general gyn attending, we decided to do an appy - it was involved in the mass that we resected and it looked like we might have burnt the tip of the appendix during the dissection. He said "do you know how to do them?" and I said "sure, we do them on onc all the time." And he proceeded to let me do the appy. Myself. 🙂
Gyn Onc will teach you this - my gyn onc attendings do more crazy surgical procedures than some of the general surgeons. Bowel resections, Ureteral reimplantations, extenterations...
To the point that two weeks ago, during a case with a general gyn attending, we decided to do an appy - it was involved in the mass that we resected and it looked like we might have burnt the tip of the appendix during the dissection. He said "do you know how to do them?" and I said "sure, we do them on onc all the time." And he proceeded to let me do the appy. Myself. 🙂
The surgeries in Gyn Onc are pretty amazing. 👍
And thanks for the programs everyone.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K