gen surg programs in chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the hell at u of c only gets hotter since theyve heard of the internet posts about them!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by apma77
the hell at u of c only gets hotter since theyve heard of the internet posts about them!

AGREE-we are feeling it! Come and see for yourself.

I've heard that a better option in Chicago if you really need to be in the city, is Northwestern. I just would not recommend the U of Chicago sugery program to anyone after having to put up with it. Don't gamble with your career....

Members don't see this ad :)
charles i thought u were just a prelim..or are u a categorical?

APMA,

Yes, I did a prelim year and am now in a subspecialty surgery program at the same institution. I saw more than enough in one year in the gen surg program! My condolences to those who get stuck matching here.

ok, i will admit we are not by far even close to the best program out there, but there are programs like us out there. i'm at the u of chicago program and proudly state that we are a traditional surgical program in every sense of the meaning. that does not make us a bad program. surgical residents are bred to be tough under pressure and have a high endurance level with a very thick skin. how else are you going to survive in a specialty that is high risk at times, with the ever increasing malpractice that is putting some surgeons out of business? so, i'm not afraid to say the u of chicago surgery programs are character building and i am very happy to have been molded this way. i used to be shy, no more. nothing shakes me. i've heard it all, had stuff thrown at me, been called all different kinds of names, worked incessantly. some may say i have no life. i say, i'm going to be ready to survive the rigors of being an attending. for all the weenies that continue to cry about the harshness ("malignancy") of u of chicago, tooooo bad. live it up, or get out period. we don't need kindergartners like arrogant surgeon defending our reputation, we can stand on our own. everyone knows, when coming into our program, what to expect.
+pissed+

Originally posted by veeer
ok, i will admit we are not by far even close to the best program out there, but there are programs like us out there. i'm at the u of chicago program and proudly state that we are a traditional surgical program in every sense of the meaning. that does not make us a bad program. surgical residents are bred to be tough under pressure and have a high endurance level with a very thick skin. how else are you going to survive in a specialty that is high risk at times, with the ever increasing malpractice that is putting some surgeons out of business? so, i'm not afraid to say the u of chicago surgery programs are character building and i am very happy to have been molded this way. i used to be shy, no more. nothing shakes me. i've heard it all, had stuff thrown at me, been called all different kinds of names, worked incessantly. some may say i have no life. i say, i'm going to be ready to survive the rigors of being an attending. for all the weenies that continue to cry about the harshness ("malignancy") of u of chicago, tooooo bad. live it up, or get out period. we don't need kindergartners like arrogant surgeon defending our reputation, we can stand on our own. everyone knows, when coming into our program, what to expect.
+pissed+

Yawn...

1955 called, it wants its surgical residency back.

MY PROGRAM SUCKS-I JUST GOT CHEWED OUT BY TWO ATTENDINGS WHO SAID I SHOULD TRY OUT A CASHIER'S JOB AT 7-ELEVEN.

A-HOLES.

Jollygood,

There's a rumor among the med students here at the U of Chicago that the surgical program may go under b/c the RRC is hot on its tail. Can you tell us what you know as a resident?

P.S. I'm sure there'll be a lot of cover up to the incoming applicants, but please be frank for all of us. Much thanks.

Oh, and I've already ruled out staying here anyway. This info is for my friend applying from Ross in the Carribean. Apparently, U of C's our program is looking ever so good for IMG's nowadays. :(

Please refer to my previous post providing the phone number for the surgery RRC and the name of the office manager, along with the link to the surgery RRC newsletter. You can use the phone number for verification of my previous post.

Note that not one single post on this site has given objective data about the U of C surgery program being reviewed by the RRC except mine and one following it from Doc Oliver. Every other post stating that the RRC is "after the U of C surgery program" has been completely unsubstantiated and made by three people. The only review this program is being submitted to is its scheduled review from the RRC for accreditation two years from now. Our last review was last year which found no deficiencies -- again, please refer to my previous post to contact the surgery RRC to verify that information.

peace

stay away from the "metropolitan" residency in Chicago. It is SHAKY. Go with NW or Uof C

Originally posted by gosh
Jollygood,

There's a rumor among the med students here at the U of Chicago that the surgical program may go under b/c the RRC is hot on its tail. Can you tell us what you know as a resident?

P.S. I'm sure there'll be a lot of cover up to the incoming applicants, but please be frank for all of us. Much thanks.

Oh, and I've already ruled out staying here anyway. This info is for my friend applying from Ross in the Carribean. Apparently, U of C's our program is looking ever so good for IMG's nowadays. :(

You've got to be *****ic if you think the creme of the crop is going to rank the U of C program highly, considering the enormous doubt in its training potential. We've heard all too much about the abuses suffered by residents in the U of C surgical program and the lack of education, and the mediocre residents getting in and mediocre fellowships obtained b/c of lack of support and now even doubts about the program's stance in the community as a whole. I certainly would never chance my all important residency training on this program. Only the lower tiered surgical hopefuls from my med school are even applying to the U of C and it's obvious they have no better choice. Gosh, who cares about rumors? There's ENOUGH doubt out there about the quality of this program....... You can certainly expect people already stuck in that program to defend it's stance, but the better question is, who's listening to their justifications, rationolizations and blatant lies? definitely not me. Some of them are so bold to come out and defend their "TRADITION" of "hard-core" training...what a load of crap. Those days are gone.

Better bet is proabbly NW, but to each his own.

Members don't see this ad :)
which is the "metropolitan" one.. since this topic started out about all programs in chicago, any words on Loyola or Rush?

Sachin

Originally posted by pathstudent
stay away from the "metropolitan" residency in Chicago. It is SHAKY. Go with NW or Uof C

Metropolitan Group Hospitals (ironically abbreviated MGH on their white coats) is a residency program involving about 5 commmunity hospitals (all managed by Advocate) on the city's northside. It would be cool to work in hospitals in Chicago's cooler enighborhoods of Lincoln Park and Lakeview, but the program is shaky.

pathstudent is right. it is actually very shaky. but, the Univ of Chicago program is getting a run for its money from the ACGME....they are in many violations. most of them pertain to resident welfare issues!

It's not just a coincidence that the program is loaded with FMIGS (almost like an FP residency): one from Iran, Italy, India, etc.

Are you implying that programs with many IMGs are inferior?

If you do your homework, you'll probably find out that to your great surprise there a lot of Program Directors who are IMGs. Dr Paul Cunningham at SUNY Upstate (Syracuse) comes immediately to mind. Is his program crap then because he is a IMG? We should not be so narrow minded.

Yep, I interviewed at MGH last year and there were TONS of IMG's interviewing for prelim spots - seemed like more prelims were there on interview day than categoricals as I remember. Doesn't neceissarily mean the program is weaker, but does mean they tend to be more desparate for residents/have less US applicants. Also, someone there called me on the phone during rank-list-making time to assess my interest in them - against the match rules technically, and also another sign they're kinda desparate I think.

That said, it seemed like the residents I talked to there were very happy, and if you're looking for a community-type program it might be okay for you. Certainly worth going to the interview, since they give you a big fancy steak dinner with apetizers, wine, and dessert, and you get to watch an educational journal club presentation by the residents during dinner.

I wanted to say a few words about Loyola. It is one of the stronger programs in Chicago without a doubt, but it doesn?t get the recognition because of the more well know Northwestern and U of C. First, the chairman, Dr. Richard Gamelli has been at Loyola for a long time and has significantly increased the size, funding, and depth of the program. Under him, Loyola became a level 1 trauma center (1st in Illinois), a verified burn center (currently the largest in the Midwest), created the burn and shock trauma research institute, and more. As far as research goes, usually 2-3 residents take 2 years after their second year. There is plenty of opportunity for anyone to do research who wants to, but Loyola doesn?t force the issue or ?strongly encourage? as some programs put it. Residents are happy, and the atmosphere is far, far from malignant (check out Hopkins and Duke for what malignant really means). Chiefs graduate with around 1000 cases, give or take, and a fair share of ?big? cases?for example the average chief has 6 whipples (range 4-12). And with fellows in only PV, CT, plastics and one laparoscopic fellow, most of the complex gen surg cases go to the chiefs. Furthermore, about half of the chiefs go on to fellowships, a few of which in the last few years have been to Sloan-Kettering, Moffit, and Baylor for CT. Conferences are well run and always have good attendance. M&M is especially good, with usually >50 residents/students, and about 15 attendings. Since there are people out there who are more interested in standings, rankings, image, reputation, consider this?Loyola is currently only one spot below Northwestern for NIH funding for surgery, has the best burn unit around, leads Illinois in lung transplants, one of the best surgical oncology programs around, etc. I just wanted to get some stuff out there about Loyola, and I?d be happy to answer any questions you have.

I agree that Loyola is a great, solid program.

The U of Chicago program is getting a lot of flack from the RRC....they are in DEEP trouble b/c of multiple residents complaining about their program. This is by far one of the most malignant programs in the U.S. by all accounts....watch what people from there tell you, there's a big cover-up in the works too!

What are your opinions on the Rush general surgery program in Chicago?

Rush is an excellent program as far as professionalism and training. I did a prelim year in the U of Chicago Gen surg program and now in subspecialty training at the same institution. Let me assure you that my experience in the Gen Surg program was my worst nightmare for one full year. I dreaded every day. The U of Chicago program is unimaginably malignant and definitely not worth any time for smart people. Heed the advice and look elsewhere....

Originally posted by charles12
Rush is an excellent program as far as professionalism and training. I did a prelim year in the U of Chicago Gen surg program and now in subspecialty training at the same institution. Let me assure you that my experience in the Gen Surg program was my worst nightmare for one full year. I dreaded every day. The U of Chicago program is unimaginably malignant and definitely not worth any time for smart people. Heed the advice and look elsewhere....

You can say that again-I'm looking to transfer out of this h****-hole. I can't take it any more.

Originally posted by jollygood
You can say that again-I'm looking to transfer out of this h****-hole. I can't take it any more.

There was some news out last week that several residents at the Univ of Chicago Gen Surg program are looking to transfer out and have contacted other programs. Do you know anything about this?

The last resident I spoke to said the program is so downright malignant that he has been having second thoughts for a long time. He can't believe the program hasn't been shut down yet, but feels it's probably just a matter of time. Scary!

What do you guys think about the Univerisity of Illinois at Chicago. I haven't heard much about it. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by sacajaweha
What do you guys think about the Univerisity of Illinois at Chicago. I haven't heard much about it. Thanks in advance.

Definitely a safer pick than the Univ of Chicago...

Originally posted by gosh
There was some news out last week that several residents at the Univ of Chicago Gen Surg program are looking to transfer out and have contacted other programs. Do you know anything about this?

The last resident I spoke to said the program is so downright malignant that he has been having second thoughts for a long time. He can't believe the program hasn't been shut down yet, but feels it's probably just a matter of time. Scary!

Wow, info sure leaks out! Yes, several of us, including me, are headed for a better life hopefully.

In case anyone cares, based on my tracking information, there is one guest posing as multiple identities on this thread.

Originally posted by Lee A Burnett
In case anyone cares, based on my tracking information, there is one guest posing as multiple identities on this thread.
The common items I'm noting are a propensity to use childlike expressions, like "wow!" and "scary!", and dorky user identities like 'jollygood' and 'gosh'.

I bet the residents and staff at Chicago would like that person's identity. C'mon Lee. Do it. Just this once.

hehehe

Originally posted by phil123
It's not just a coincidence that the U of Chicago surgical program was one of four in the nation to have to scramble for an ENT resident in 2002 (an ordinarily rather competitive field):
http://www.scutwork.com/cgi-bin/links/page.cgi?page=UnfilledPrograms2002_Otolaryngology&d=1

Not to steal the thunder of the malignancy of the U of C program, but there may be a more pertinent reason for that scramble. The University of Chicago has a mediocre ENT program. If not mediocre, then better described as the least competitive in Chicago. Additionally, they have a 7-year track (2 years of research) that all the attendings push, and this track nationally has become increasingly unpopular. Furthermore, when I interviewed there, the issue of call might be pushed to both more frequent call and to call for all years since their present call was based on the existence of the residents on their research track.

All in all, a questionable future about the residency program itself, and not a great program. Plus, I guess now, a crappy internship in general surgery.

(To be honest, I really didn't ask programs much about the internship in general surgery since I figured I could do just about anything for a year.)

Curious: how is the Rush gen surg program?

Originally posted by womansurg
I bet the residents and staff at Chicago would like that person's identity. C'mon Lee. Do it. Just this once.

Sorry, only with a court order. ;)

Originally posted by droliver
When you have very inflamatory statements that border on libel & some of the posts are clearly fraudulently posted by the same user(s) it will be removed. There is tremendous leeway afforded everyone here, but some people have chosen to abuse the anonymity of the internet on these boards.

Flashback to June - I told you so :)

No more from me about the U of C program (I'm on of the general surgery chief residents, and my feelings have been posted before...).

WRT the Rush program, I have worked extensively with their residents at Cook County Hospital on trauma, and I have found them to be a very good group of residents to work with. I interviewed there for residency and ranked it #2 behind U of C. Has a good rep and their residents are good people, and tend to match pretty well for fellowships.

But they have unhappy residents, too, just like any other program. ;- )

Also, while I would be interested to know the party that is using multiple names to post libelous statements about our program, it doesn't really matter. My feelings are that if someone is going to take stuff like this on the internet and use it to base their decisions for residency application, we don't really want their applications anyway. You gotta do more research than that...