Gen Surg Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eremba

MS3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am DO student and am wondering how likely it is in the Army to get a gen surg residency having only taken the COMLEX???

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I tried....wasn't having any luck finding anything helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Search harder. :D

By and large, you will be just fine with the COMLEX in the mil. I only took COMLEX and matched gen surg, but that may vary from institution to institution (i.e.- some programs may want to see USMLE). Protip: just take them both. If you find yourself in a position where you are no longer seeking training in the military and you are applying to ACGME residencies, you will be glad you took the USMLE during 2nd year rather than being faced with the prospect of re-taking the USMLE when you are 3-4 years removed from med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Search harder. :D

By and large, you will be just fine with the COMLEX in the mil. I only took COMLEX and matched gen surg, but that may vary from institution to institution (i.e.- some programs may want to see USMLE). Protip: just take them both. If you find yourself in a position where you are no longer seeking training in the military and you are applying to ACGME residencies, you will be glad you took the USMLE during 2nd year rather than being faced with the prospect of re-taking the USMLE when you are 3-4 years removed from med school.

I probably could have spent more than 30 minutes looking....but you know.

Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app