Gen Surg Subspecialties without Gen Surg Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AvB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm currently considering a surgical specialty and was wondering what fields are now detached from a general surgery residency (besides the obvious ones like uro, ENT, ortho, plastics). I heard vascular and some cardiac surgeries are now stand-alone residencies that don't require gen surg, but are there any other fields like that too? or do all of these fields still require a gen surg residency before you apply for fellowship? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I'm currently considering a surgical specialty and was wondering what fields are now detached from a general surgery residency (besides the obvious ones like uro, ENT, ortho, plastics). I heard vascular and some cardiac surgeries are now stand-alone residencies that don't require gen surg, but are there any other fields like that too? or do all of these fields still require a gen surg residency before you apply for fellowship? thanks.

I think you covered it. Colorectal, onc, HPB, MIS, peds, breast, etc all require 5 years of GS first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also vascular, neurosurgery, and ophthalmology. Check out the AAMC Careers in Medicine page to learn more about each.

Also vascular, neurosurgery, and ophthalmology. Check out the AAMC Careers in Medicine page to learn more about each.

Those aren't subspecialties of General Surgery but rather have their own residencies.

IMHO the OP is asking which GS subspecialties have Integrated residency programs. As he/she notes, that would include Vascular, CT and PRS. None of the other GS subspecialties have Integrated programs (yet).