gen surg vs anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shreebee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm starting to get really scared about applying for a gen surg residency now...im not sure if it's cold feet or if im really not ready for that kind of lifestyle. i was contemplating anesthesia before and although i really loved my surgery rotations, lifestyle is a big factor in my decision. i love being in the OR and i love doing procedures. my biggest hesitancy with anesthesia was the lack of pt contact/continuity of care. does anyone have any opinions on applying to both residencies? my plan was this...i would gather the materials together for applying for both...recc letters, personal statement, etc...do some more electives in both...and hopefully by november know which one it is...and if i cant figure it out by november, then apply for both...what do other people think?

Members don't see this ad.

Finish your applications and submit them by 9/1 or you will have a much tougher time landing interviews -- at least for anes...
just a tip.. :thumbup:

shreebee said:
i'm starting to get really scared about applying for a gen surg residency now...im not sure if it's cold feet or if im really not ready for that kind of lifestyle. i was contemplating anesthesia before and although i really loved my surgery rotations, lifestyle is a big factor in my decision. i love being in the OR and i love doing procedures. my biggest hesitancy with anesthesia was the lack of pt contact/continuity of care. does anyone have any opinions on applying to both residencies? my plan was this...i would gather the materials together for applying for both...recc letters, personal statement, etc...do some more electives in both...and hopefully by november know which one it is...and if i cant figure it out by november, then apply for both...what do other people think?

My thoughts.

1) Do not postpone your app. You will know what you want to do by 9/1, you have no choice. Dont put yourself behind the 8-ball in two moderately competitive specialties.

2) Do the whole pro vs. con thing. Its perfectly okay to love general surgery, but dont think that the major downside to anesthesia vs. GS is lack of patient continuity. The worst days when you are a surgeon will be those days when you work clinic either drumming up new cases or re-bandaging old ones.

GS is demanding, so is anesthesia. You have to be willing to occasionally crave the monotony of a well-executed anesthetic, knowing that your presence was little more than decoration, for the simple fact that when things do go south, you are the guy...there for a reason. You will occasionally feel the curtain tugging you back to the other side, and thats okay, youd probably feel the same thing as a surgeon. But you know what, people never leave anesthesia for surgery, and Ive seen 4th and 5th year senior GS residents pick up and start over in anesthesia.

I think there are limitless potential opportunities in anesthesia, you can have as much patient contact or as little as you want, and work the most complex cases or the easiest ones. All have their worth. Good luck deciding.

shreebee said:

over-rated in my opinion.

by the way, we do get pt contact. its just intense and packed into a 5-10 min session. as far as continuity of care goes, you got me there. however there is so much satisfaction in solving the day to day situations that i really believe it fills that void.

gen surg is cool no doubt, but if you are having serious hesitations make sure to keep your options open. There is nobody in house who gets beat up like the gensurg interns. And the only thing which blows more than getting pummeled is having the mindset that you dont want to even be in that field.

Check out ER too. Then just apply to anesthesiology. ;)