Gender wage gap widens, even though more vets are women...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

From just a quick scan of the article, these things stuck out to me...

"Men have higher levels of experience and practice ownership than women, who, in mass, are newer to the industry, Richard contends"

"The report does not specify the ages of the male and female employees, which could have an impact on overall wages in an industry where women are considered "latecomers," Richard says."

So... from my quick interpretation I'd say there isn't so much a gender wage gap as a generational wage gap.

Vet med was predominately male -- now it's becoming predominately female.

The older, more experienced, and practice owners (mostly male) will make more than the newer doctors (mostly female). So that doesn't really surprise me. I'm sure it'll even out over time as women filter into the profession and more become practice owners.

Also, they noted something about taking time off for family. Maternity leave could contribute to the numbers they're using.

As as interesting aside, I've heard of 2 female doctors agreeing to fill 1 full full time position so they can take care of family matters, children etc.

And at our clinic we have a married vet couple, they're both part time to take care of the kids. I think it's pretty cool.