General ? about admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothBuck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm starting my first year of dental school pretty soon and was wondering a few things about getting accepted into specialty programs in general. Obviously I don't know if I even want to specialize yet, considering I haven't had much experience in any of the fields at this point. But I figured I should enter D-school with as much knowledge on the subject as possible so that I can keep my options open.
1. Obviously class rank and board scores (for the time being) are the most important factors, but are you expected to have a ton of community service and research, or anything else, when applying to specialties?
2. Is there anything I should start doing right off the bat my first year to prepare myself for future residency apps (besides getting good grades)?
3. Are there really as much politics in the process as people say?
4. Whos the best pro running back of all time, Walter Payton or Jim Brown?
Thanks for the help in advance, let me know if i need to clarify or narrow down my questions

Members don't see this ad.

If you take your part 1 boards at the end of your second year (as done at many schools) that will put you taking them in 2010 and come that January they go pass/fail. So you can scratch board scores off that list.

Barry Sanders..... that guy did what he did, and never had ANYONE blocking for him except for Lomas Brown. He was INCREDIBLE!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Barry Sanders

If not for a shortened career (by choice), you would be referring to him as the all time leading rusher.

Have you ever seen a more entertaining 1 yard gain?

Barry Sanders

If not for a shortened career (by choice), you would be referring to him as the all time leading rusher.

Have you ever seen a more entertaining 1 yard gain?
If not for the fact that I didn't play football in high school, college, or professionally, you'd be referring to ME as the all-time rushing leader.

Reductio ad absurdum strikes again, to both my own and Mr. Sanders' chagrin.

I just want to know what happened to Reggie Bush after all the hype of him going to be the best back of all time.