General Advice Request

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful_Doc123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a rising Junior planning on going through the application process this upcoming year (summer 2019). I have listed all of my EC’s/GPA/experience below, and if you could take a quick look and see where my deficits are, that would be great. I know this is early, but I would like to fix my app before it is too late.

Biochemistry Major/Mid-tier private institution

3.86 GPA

3.80 Science GPA

____MCAT (taking next April)

EC’s

• EMT Certified (University EMS- 10hrs/month volunteer)
  • Internship at charitable health foundation (health blog posts, review grant application/updates from research funding, talked with reps on Capital Hill about medicare coverage)
  • Hospital Volunteer (300 Hours) - General Floor (Neurology/Oncology), assisted nurses, walked with patients
  • Clinical Volunteer with organization that provides primary care to local homeless population (patient interaction) - 150 hours
  • Non-clinical volunteer: organize educational sessions and activities for students to learn about issues facing underserved populations (only a few hours/month, and not directly helping any people)
  • Public Health Research: Poster presentation, investigating health impacts of indoor kerosene usage. -300 hours
  • Clinical Research Assistant at Reputable Hospital (Top 5 in research topic area) - 150 hours
  • Basic Science (Animal model study in morphology, with specific interest in thyroid hormone) - Poster presentation, hopeful publication -500 hours
  • 2 executive board positions (Treasurer, President) with 1 social/cultural club, 1 personal interest club
  • Technology Help Employee (12hrs/week)
  • Private Tutor (Chemistry/Math/Biology)
Shadowing:
10 hrs ENT
20 hrs Cardiologist
20 hrs GI

Any advice on ways to improve my app would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am a rising Junior planning on going through the application process this upcoming year (summer 2019). I have listed all of my EC’s/GPA/experience below, and if you could take a quick look and see where my deficits are, that would be great. I know this is early, but I would like to fix my app before it is too late.

Biochemistry Major/Mid-tier private institution

3.86 GPA

3.80 Science GPA

____MCAT (taking next April)

EC’s

• EMT Certified (University EMS- 10hrs/month volunteer)
  • Internship at charitable health foundation (health blog posts, review grant application/updates from research funding, talked with reps on Capital Hill about medicare coverage)
  • Hospital Volunteer (300 Hours) - General Floor (Neurology/Oncology), assisted nurses, walked with patients
  • Clinical Volunteer with organization that provides primary care to local homeless population (patient interaction) - 150 hours
  • Non-clinical volunteer: organize educational sessions and activities for students to learn about issues facing underserved populations (only a few hours/month, and not directly helping any people)
  • Public Health Research: Poster presentation, investigating health impacts of indoor kerosene usage. -300 hours
  • Clinical Research Assistant at Reputable Hospital (Top 5 in research topic area) - 150 hours
  • Basic Science (Animal model study in morphology, with specific interest in thyroid hormone) - Poster presentation, hopeful publication -500 hours
  • 2 executive board positions (Treasurer, President) with 1 social/cultural club, 1 personal interest club
  • Technology Help Employee (12hrs/week)
  • Private Tutor (Chemistry/Math/Biology)
Shadowing:
10 hrs ENT
20 hrs Cardiologist
20 hrs GI

Any advice on ways to improve my app would be great!
Get in some primary care showing, too. Otherwise, you're looking good.

I'd have said to get in some non medical community service that helps those in need, but I think your clinical service to the local homeless population covers "helping those in need" nicely.

Reactions: 1 user
Get in some primary care showing, too. Otherwise, you're looking good.

I'd have said to get in some non medical community service that helps those in need, but I think your clinical service to the local homeless population covers "helping those in need" nicely.

Thank you!

I will definitely look into primary care shadowing, and perhaps some non-medical community service just in case. My other question is that for my LORs, I was planning on asking professors/research PIs/supervisors for them, but not my clinical research PI (physician). Quite frankly, him and I are not as close as I am with other mentors, and I am only working a few days a week over the summer. Would this look bad on my app, or can I just discuss the work that I did without needing an LOR from him?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I will definitely look into primary care shadowing, and perhaps some non-medical community service just in case.
2) My other question is that for my LORs, I was planning on asking professors/research PIs/supervisors for them, but not my clinical research PI (physician). Quite frankly, him and I are not as close as I am with other mentors, and I am only working a few days a week over the summer. Would this look bad on my app, or can I just discuss the work that I did without needing an LOR from him?
1) :thumbup:

2) Are you talking about "Clinical Research Assistant at Reputable Hospital (Top 5 in research topic area) - 150 hours"? Are you planning to apply to that school?

1) :thumbup:

2) Are you talking about "Clinical Research Assistant at Reputable Hospital (Top 5 in research topic area) - 150 hours"? Are you planning to apply to that school?

Yes I was planning on applying to that school, among others. There is no anticipated end date to my project, so our relationship could grow, but at this moment I have solid relationships already established from my other roles that I believe would write better LORs.

Yes I was planning on applying to that school, among others. There is no anticipated end date to my project, so our relationship could grow, but at this moment I have solid relationships already established from my other roles that I believe would write better LORs.
It is a rare school that requests an LOR from every research project with which you've been affiliated. For the vast majority, it isn't required that you submit an LOR from every research venue (or even any at all). Only this particular institution, which is affiliated with a med school to which you'll apply, might think it was odd that you didn't get a letter.

It is a rare school that requests an LOR from every research project with which you've been affiliated. For the vast majority, it isn't required that you submit an LOR from every research venue (or even any at all). Only this particular institution, which is affiliated with a med school to which you'll apply, might think it was odd that you didn't get a letter.

Makes sense. I just wanted to make sure my work/experience was still significant even without a letter. Thank you for your help and advice!