General Chem 1 and 2 over one summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockitman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a junoir and recently decided to take my premed requirements. I plan on taking General Chem 1 and 2 over this summer. Each class meets Monday to Friday for 6 weeks (12 weeks in total.) This is the only class I will be taking and I will not be working at all. I am wondering if this is a bad idea. Do you think summer classes will prepare me well enough for the g chem on the MCAT, and will medical schools have any problem with taking these over summer. Also, will the workload be doable. I am sure this has been asked before, and I did a search but couldnt find too much. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Go for it, you should be able to do well especially if chemistry is all you are going to be taking. General chemistry is usually not too tough and you do not need a very in depth background in it to do welll on that portion of the mcat. Also, when you take organic chemistry the first couple of lectures will usually review some basic chemistry.

Good luck taking the rest of your pre-med courses

rockitman said:
Hello everyone,
I am a junoir and recently decided to take my premed requirements. I plan on taking General Chem 1 and 2 over this summer. Each class meets Monday to Friday for 6 weeks (12 weeks in total.) This is the only class I will be taking and I will not be working at all. I am wondering if this is a bad idea. Do you think summer classes will prepare me well enough for the g chem on the MCAT, and will medical schools have any problem with taking these over summer. Also, will the workload be doable. I am sure this has been asked before, and I did a search but couldnt find too much. Thanks for any help.
I did it w/labs too. It wasn't too bad. We had a test about every week. G-Chem is mostly about doing math problems and they can easily be mastered with practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
rockitman said:
Hello everyone,

I took Orgo Chem 1 and 2 with labs and I did okay. I think that Gen Chem over the summer would be quite possible.

I did it as well, along with labs. It was very rewarding filling up 100 pages of a laboratory notebook in about a month (I write big). The tests were every Friday, so we got the weekend off.

BTW, Brett, I know you're a Physics guy... do you recommend taking Physics I and II with labs over the summer?

kovalchuk said:
I did it as well, along with labs. It was very rewarding filling up 100 pages of a laboratory notebook in about a month (I write big). The tests were every Friday, so we got the weekend off.

BTW, Brett, I know you're a Physics guy... do you recommend taking Physics I and II with labs over the summer?
I think if you can do g-chem and labs over the summer, AND have a pretty good handle on math (comfortable manipulating equations) then you could probably manage.

Ok, so I'm in the same boat but I want to take O-chem. Am I crazy or is this doable?

Zoom-Zoom said:
Ok, so I'm in the same boat but I want to take O-chem. Am I crazy or is this doable?

i took two semesters of pre-med classes over a summer, and it was the best idea of my life. that's all i did as well, so i was able to keep up easily with the class and, as a result, did very well. i would definitely suggest it....just make sure you take the classes at a good, accreditable university (that way, it will look better to med schools AND you'll be better prepared overall in that subject).