general chemistry??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakeman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

i have a question. ive graduated in a community college with a AA degree ten yeara ago. now since i decided to become a dentist, i will have to take the 1 year requirement of general chemistry and organic chemistry. i only took one science class 10 years ago which was general chemistry in community college. so when i go to university,will i be allowed to take organic chemistry as soon as i start school? or i will have to take general chemistry first despite the fact that i took general chemistry in community college??

Members don't see this ad.

I think as long as you apply as a transfer student, those gen chem classes should transfer over and allow you to start o-chem. I could be wrong and the school might have a policy on how old your credits are. Check or call the university you're interested in and just ask. They're the only ones that will give you a solid answer.

Although, unless you remember everything from 10 years ago, I'd probably retake gen chem at the university level anyway. O-chem requires a strong foundation in acids/bases, and from my experience, CC level <<< university level.

Reactions: 1 user
You can but you shouldn't. It would be different if we were talking about an english but chemistry is a little tough. Unless you have an elephant brain you need to just take it again.

You can but you shouldn't. It would be different if we were talking about an english but chemistry is a little tough. Unless you have an elephant brain you need to just take it again.
I echo this. I took chem in HS in 2004. After 7 years in the Marine Corps, I took gen chem 1 and 2 (spring and summer, 2012). Didn't remember a thing from high school (got an A) and I have a really good memory for random facts and useless trivia (helps in school). I am finishing up orgo 1 right now. Even with only a ~1 year gap between gen chem 2 and orgo 1, it took me a few weeks to remember periodic table trends (much less the actual elements), what the hell a pKa did, and how temperature affects physical properties of certain molecules. Though it is possible to do this OP, I would advise against it.