General guidance needed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsimAziz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am creating this thread in hopes of getting some general feedback/guidance from people. I am currently a junior at Northwestern University, majoring in Chemistry. I'm going to list my stats and relevant information below.

- 4.0 cGPA as of Winter 2014 - 3 quarters of English, general chemistry, organic chemistry and physics - 5 quarters of biology (one 100 level, three 200 level and one 300 level) - 3 upper level chemistry courses.
- I have done research from the beginning of sophomore year, and intend on continuing with my current lab till I graduate. I continued my research during the previous summer, and intend dong the same this upcoming summer. My sophomore year I worked in a chemistry lab working on MOFs/material science. I didn't fancy the research much so I I switched to a biochem lab at the end of my sophomore year that focuses on tumor detection. I expect to be a 2nd-4th author on at least two publications by the time I graduate.
- I was a peer leader for a group of Gen Chem students, through my sophomore year, as part of a program that allows students enrolled in STEM disciplines to meet weekly to stimulate learning, etc. Meetings are led by students who have taken and performed well in the courses.
- I functioned as an unofficial TA for the Organic Chemistry at the start of my junior year upon the request of the professor I took the class under. Northwestern doesn't officially allow undergrads to TA courses; my job was to hold weekly review sessions, 1 on 1 review sessions for students struggling (not mandatory, I did these on a case by case basis), and answer questions via email.
- Recently hired by a selective tutoring company, that caters to high school students in the area.
- My Freshman year, I mentored a 10 year old boy as part of the YMCA's Project SOAR
- Active member of the pre-med fraternity on campus
- Vice-President and co-founder of a cultural organization on campus.
- I have worked at least one work study job since fall quarter of freshman year. Been forced to work two jobs concurrently since spring quarter of my sophomore year. I am counting some of the stuff listed above, that I was paid for, as a job (YMCA/Research was for workstudy in some quarters, and for credit in the others/Orgo review sessions (not the 1 on 1 sessions)). I have also worked as a gen chem lab aide (managing the stock room) since spring quarter of my sophomore year, and throughout my freshman year I worked with my physics professor manage and organize his lecture demonstrations/test and develop undergraduate labs.
- My LORs are extremely strong: 1) Orgo professor whom I hold review sessions for 2) Physics professor whom I worked for 3) My freshman adviser. I plan on getting further LORs from my current lab's PI and possibly from one of my other employers.

I am a green card holder who went to high school in a foreign country. Since most of my closest friends are situated elsewhere, I usually spend most of my vacation time travelling back home or visiting my high school friends in their respective universities. As such, I haven't really gotten around to doing volunteer work and shadowing, which are two of the areas in which I feel like I'm lacking. Shadowing has never appealed to me since it primarily involves following a physician who does things that you don't have the knowledge or expertise to understand, I understand why it's an important factor for medical schools, but my mother is a doctor, and I have spent a considerable amount of time in hospitals. I haven't done volunteer work in the traditional sense either, i.e, old homes, shelters, etc. I like to give back in my own way - donating 15% of my income to families back in my homeland (third world country) and helping underclassmen with their studies. (Note: I won't list the former on my application or talk about it during interviews because doing so feels unethical to me).

I plan on taking the MCAT this summer and apply to medical schools after graduation. I shifted my application cycle a year forward because I don't want to go to Med school immediately after college. I hope to pursue a Fulbright or some other fellowship during that 'gap year'.

I created this thread because I am uncertain about what my next step should be, apart from taking the MCAT. Do I need to do volunteer work in the traditional sense? Is shadowing necessary? What schools should I be aiming for? And most importantly, what else can I do to make myself a better applicant? Thus far, I've done things that I'm passionate about and have largely ignored things that don't interest me. However, I acknowledge that at this point I need to conform to the system a bit, and I was hoping to get feedback from others with more experience than myself on what I should do next.

I apologize if this post was a bit long and vague. Thank you in advance for your help!
Flag Like Helpful

Members don't see this ad.

The key thing is: do you really know what a doctor's day is like? How an ER doc is different from a Primary Care doc, or a cardiologist?

As such, I haven't really gotten around to doing volunteer work and shadowing, which are two of the areas in which I feel like I'm lacking. Shadowing has never appealed to me since it primarily involves following a physician who does things that you don't have the knowledge or expertise to understand, I understand why it's an important factor for medical schools, but my mother is a doctor, and I have spent a considerable amount of time in hospitals.

That is not good enough. You need to show us that you want to be around sick and inured people for the next 30-40 years. Doing tutoring (for which one can be paid) doesn't show your altruism. There's a difference between doing what's necessary, and what merely convenient. And there are plenty of people with high GPAs who have done what's needed to show us they truly deserve to be a doctor. Being a doctor is a privilege, and if you want it, you need to earn it.

I haven't done volunteer work in the traditional sense either, i.e, old homes, shelters, etc. I like to give back in my own way - donating 15% of my income to families back in my homeland (third world country) and helping underclassmen with their studies. (Note: I won't list the former on my application or talk about it during interviews because doing so feels unethical to me).
I plan on taking the MCAT this summer and apply to medical schools after graduation. I shifted my application cycle a year forward because I don't want to go to Med school immediately after college. I hope to pursue a Fulbright or some other fellowship during that 'gap year'.

Check out your local houses of worship for other volunteer opportunities.

I created this thread because I am uncertain about what my next step should be, apart from taking the MCAT. Do I need to do volunteer work in the traditional sense? Is shadowing necessary? What schools should I be aiming for? And most importantly, what else can I do to make myself a better applicant? Thus far, I've done things that I'm passionate about and have largely ignored things that don't interest me.

Volunteer at a clinic or even at NMH would count. There's no shadowing involved and you get to help patients out with paper work, getting around, etc etc. Exposes you to sick people.