General guideliens on opthalmics expirations

Started by sisson329
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sisson329

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! Another question for everyone : )

Working on some appendices that I'm updating and I've been searching through just about 40 different solutions and finding nothing but very generalized storage descriptions such as "Keep out of light, keep at a steady room temp, put cap on tightly" etc etc. But what I can't seem to find (at least for the most part) is how long each one should be kept AFTER being opened. Our previous appendix gives a general guideline of "6 months after opening, discard" but I can't seem to find ANY data backing this up. Is this just something people have guessed on for safety reasons?

Thanks in advance from your local forum intern! 😀
 
I'm just wondering if ANY regular room temp storage drops go bad earlier than the expiration date or if anyone knows about the guidelines for expiration dates. I just can't seem to find anything on this at all. I don't know why it wouldn't be on the inserts = \
 
I don't know if there is any official guidelines. In practical use, I would assume once opened (especially if people are using bad technique), the eye drops would need discarded much sooner than the expiration date on the package. With most insulins & injectables, its recommended they be discarded 28-30 days after first use--that seems like a reasonable guideline for most eye drops. I think Azasite eye drops are recommended to be discarded 14 days after first use. Realistically--many people use insulins well past the 28-30 day recommended discard after first use date. Because of the cost of insulins & eye drops, most people are loathe to throw them out. Personally, I'd still recommend that people follow the guidelines, but knowing that they probably won't, I would stress the importance of good, clean technique in using eye drops or insulins.