freddydpt

15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
Pennsylvania
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. DPT / OTD
  3. Physical Therapist
Where are the happiest residents on LI and in NYC?
Which programs have the greatest outpatient time?
Which programs match well to fellowships such as sports med and pain?
Which programs offer training on mobilization/manipulation? (although, I'm an MD student, I'd still like training on it, I have a PT background and enjoy manual therapy)
Are there any other questions I should be asking as someone who is interested in matching in NY and practicing musculoskeletal medicine?

Thanks for the help!!!

drvlad2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2001
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Where are the happiest residents on LI and in NYC?
Which programs have the greatest outpatient time?
Which programs match well to fellowships such as sports med and pain?
Which programs offer training on mobilization/manipulation? (although, I'm an MD student, I'd still like training on it, I have a PT background and enjoy manual therapy)
Are there any other questions I should be asking as someone who is interested in matching in NY and practicing musculoskeletal medicine?

Thanks for the help!!!
Definitely PM me. Nassau in LI provides significant time in outpatient and msculoskeletal. Our program's niche has always been in musculoskeletal. Unlike most of the NYC programs, OMM is highly encouraged here. We also learn a lot of OMM, especially having Dr. Dowling in our faculty.

About the Ads

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Definitely PM me. Nassau in LI provides significant time in outpatient and msculoskeletal. Our program's niche has always been in musculoskeletal. Unlike most of the NYC programs, OMM is highly encouraged here. We also learn a lot of OMM, especially having Dr. Dowling in our faculty.
Dr. Vlad:

If you don't mind me asking, where have the Nassau grads been going (ie directly to private practice vs. fellowship...and if fellowship...where)? Thanks a lot.

btw..I have an OMM rotation set up w/ Dr. Dowling next year...very excited for it

drvlad2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2001
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Over the past few years, Nassau grads have done fellowships in pain management or gone directly into private practice. From my knowledge, in terms of pain fellowships, our graduating residents landed interventional spine or Sports & Spine positions in Arizona, University of Florida/Gatorade Sports Science (Dr. Atchison), and Kessler (Stitik,, Foye). I know that in the past two years, a couple of resident were able to land pain anesthesia fellowships at Downstate Medical Center and last year at the Univ. of Cincinnati. A recent grad did a SCI fellowship at Mt Sinai. She is now a faculty member for the SCI dept at the Boston U PM&R program.

This year, one of our residents landed a neurorehab fellowship at Cornell/Burke Rehab hospital. FYI, if you are interested in TBI or SCI, you are now better off going into a neurorehab fellowship because this consists of a combo of stroke, TBI, and SCI. Neurorehab is in great demand now.

A lot of our residents have gone directly into private practice. Nearly all of them have gone into outpatient musculoskeletal, which is NUMC's niche. Many of the graduating residents now practice all over the US. A couple of last year's grad went into private practice in upstate NY, which is much higher paying with more outpatient opportunities. Most of our residents prefer outpatient and more recently preferred to practice outside of NYC because of that.

Overall, NUMC residents do very well once they are done.

Taus--You will love working with Dr. Dowling. He was at NYCOM when I was student there and he has been working at NUMC for a long time at the OMM clinic.

FreddyDPT--I am sorry for taking a while to answer your message. I will PM you tomorrow. I look forward to conversing with you.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.