General loan question

Started by NismoDDS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NismoDDS

Status: Elite
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just recieved my award packet from UB dental. I've never taken out a student loan before so I really have no idea where to begin. My question is do students generally accept the federal loans (which to my understanding is the Direct subsidized/unsubsidized stafford) before looking into private loans. In other words are federal loans always a better option than private loans? Thanks in advance.
 
I just recieved my award packet from UB dental. I've never taken out a student loan before so I really have no idea where to begin. My question is do students generally accept the federal loans (which to my understanding is the Direct subsidized/unsubsidized stafford) before looking into private loans. In other words are federal loans always a better option than private loans? Thanks in advance.

Subsidized Stafford = VERY GOOD (low interest, doesn't accrue until repayment)

Unsubsidized Stafford = GOOD (low interest, but accrues interest)

Private loans = BAD (high interest, accrues immediately)