general physics, calc based physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PREMEDWOAHS

dare to dream
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there a difference as to which you can take for premed requirements? does it matter if u just take general physics 1 and 2 instead of calc based for the mcat.

Members don't see this ad.

does it matter... for who? i have no idea.

But: i took a course literally called "physics for premeds" (they werent being sarcastic), and it was general physics. no calc.

...which means that med schools dont care. on the other hand, you need to pass the mcat.

Generally, Bio majors take the former, without calculus. Pre-meds do the same. I'm a Bioinformatics, meaning I have to do computer courses. As such, I just finished semester 1 of calculus based physics. No matter where you take it, CBP will be harder. For the easy A, I'd advise the first one. I barely scrubbed by this semester with my dream grade. I mean borderline :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a difference as to which you can take for premed requirements? does it matter if u just take general physics 1 and 2 instead of calc based for the mcat.

Some schools say they require calc based physics. I've never once heard of someone being held to it. Usually you can't even tell based on the course name whether it's calc based or not. Also, for the MCAT you will need to know no calculus. In general, MCAT physics is much easier than even the easiest premed Physics class.

Calc based physics is a lot more intuitive. Algebra-based physics is memorizing equations and plugging and chugging.
Which makes more sense?
A) You have an equation of position. f'(x) is the velocity and f''(x) is the acceleration.
B) v=at +v0 or x=1/2at^2+v0t+x0

Calc based physics is a lot more intuitive. Algebra-based physics is memorizing equations and plugging and chugging.
Which makes more sense?
A) You have an equation of position. f'(x) is the velocity and f''(x) is the acceleration.

it's more intuitive if you understand what a derivative is ;)

Only 16 schools requires calculus at all, so no more than that could require cal based physics.I would bet almost no schools make cal based physics a real requirement.

At my school, it mattered incredibly who your teacher was for physics. Ask some people who have taken both how much they learned and how fun - yes, learning can be fun - the class was. My physics I teacher was amazing, provided great examples in class. Also, brought in stuff to demonstrate so you'd understand and remember better. I learned a great amount. Physics II professor was horrible. He had no skill in teaching or communicating. Didn't learn too much, pretty much memorizing for exams.

Take home point, take into consideration who is teaching the course.

Which makes more sense?

Unless the calc-based physics teacher is especially difficult, I would recommend taking calc-based physics for the exact same reason cards stated: it's much more intuitive, and it makes sense. It's not necesary, but it gives you a much better understanding of physics.

That's not to say that the class won't suck, especially when it comes to electricity and magnetism. :smuggrin:
-Dr. P.

I'm in calc-based physics and we... actually don't use calculus. At least not that I remembered. Yes, I know my cowcuwus, I took Calc 2. But since our school had banned calculators for calc based classes, we don't have shmancy tactics. Granted, I can take derivatives and integrate, but there's only so much you can do in 1hr exams.