General Public Friendly Vet Med/School Info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SportPonies

Tie Goon
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there was a thread posted recently about vet med facts, and I read through it all and found it super interesting!

However, my hall director challenged me yesterday to make a vet med related bulletin board for my wing, as my last bulletin board as an RA, and I'm coming to you all for thoughts! I'd love to share a little bit of my future life with my residents, and have already grabbed some facts and stats here and there (including the aforementioned thread, but that discussion was mostly directed more at us geeks), but would love more thoughts for general public friendly (ie, probably not histology) facts about the field OR about vet school OR the admissions process. I think fun facts about school and admissions in particular would be super interesting, but maybe I'm just biased.

I'd love to hear everyone's favorite things so I can add them to my thoughts! ....Or, least favorite things, since I'm considering mentioning the debt to salary ratio haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Veterinarians frequently rate high in opinion polls focused around occupational honesty, ethics, and trustworthiness. I've always enjoyed that bit, even if sometimes the loudest comments you hear/see from the general public are very negative.

Also, on a somewhat related note, there have been multiple veterinarians that have held/hold elected positions in state and federal government. One even resigned after a sex scandal. Most have been dudes.

Reactions: 1 user
Veterinarians frequently rate high in opinion polls focused around occupational honesty, ethics, and trustworthiness. I've always enjoyed that bit, even if sometimes the loudest comments you hear/see from the general public are very negative.

Also, on a somewhat related note, there have been multiple veterinarians that have held/hold elected positions in state and federal government. One even resigned after a sex scandal. Most have been dudes.
That's super interesting to hear! I knew all of you guys knew awesome things like this (the first part, not the sex scandal haha) that I didn't know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you happen to remember the number? :p I haven't looked for that post yet.
I want to say 5000? But that was based off of medical school didactic years and I think they only have two, so it might be lower for vet school. Or at least I like to pretend it is :p

I want to say 5000? But that was based off of medical school didactic years and I think they only have two, so it might be lower for vet school. Or at least I like to pretend it is :p
That's what I was thinking it was, so we'll go with that. And actually, I'm surprised it's so low, because I learned nearly that many in my human anatomy class last semester!

Someone counted the terms we had to know for anatomy for first quarter alone and it was 2500. We have a 3-quarter anatomy class but we get some repeat words among species, so I'd say between 5000-6000.

Reactions: 1 user