General Question about GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1082682

I know this is a very generic and potentially ignorant question, but I wanted to ask. Next semester, I am taking 14 credits instead of 18 credits because it's my last semester. If I take the 18 credits, I have the option of potentially raising my cGPA to 3.78 but it's my senior year and if I take 14 credits, I have no doubt I will maintain my 3.73, but I know I can't get that 3.78.

I want to take one less 4-credit class to enjoy my last semester with my family cause I'm still online for the spring semester.

I am genuinely asking from an ignorant perspective but in the eyes of a Medical School admission committee is there a difference between a 3.73 and a 3.78 or even a 3.7/3.8? I never understood how the GPA plays a role in this overall process and I know I'm being paranoid about a singular 4-credit class, but if someone can kindly share some perspective and advise I really appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad.

For the most part, 3.70 is the same as 3.79.... The mind registers the first 2 digits and not much beyond that. Enjoy the extra time the light load affords you and use it to buff the text sections of your application (personal statement, descriptions of activities, drafts of common secondary prompts).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For the most part, 3.70 is the same as 3.79.... The mind registers the first 2 digits and not much beyond that.

On a related note, would a 3.68 be viewed more similarly to a 3.6 or a 3.7?

I'll be graduating this year and the max I can raise my GPA to is a 3.68 with a normal class load, but I can probably get it to 3.7 if I register for another class, so I was wondering if that would be worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
On a related note, would a 3.68 be viewed more similarly to a 3.6 or a 3.7?

I'll be graduating this year and the max I can raise my GPA to is a 3.68 with a normal class load, but I can probably get it to 3.7 if I register for another class, so I was wondering if that would be worth it.

3.60-3.69 is in the 3.6x range
3.70-3.79 is in the 3.7x range

If a school is using using those ranges for sorting applications you know where you'll fall one way (3.68) or the other (3.70). You have to decide if it is worth the time and effort to get the bump.

Reactions: 1 user
3.60-3.69 is in the 3.6x range
3.70-3.79 is in the 3.7x range

If a school is using using those ranges for sorting applications you know where you'll fall one way (3.68) or the other (3.70). You have to decide if it is worth the time and effort to get the bump.
is a 3.797 on AMCAS read as a 3.7 or 3.8 range? Thanks

is a 3.797 on AMCAS read as a 3.7 or 3.8 range? Thanks

Pretty sure GPAs get rounded to the hundredths place, so 3.797 will be rounded to 3.80.

Reactions: 1 users