General question about resume.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lippert7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a general question about the resume process, how would they know if you actually volunteered the amount of time you said. Is it necessary to have and tangible evidence or do they just take your word for it?

Members don't see this ad.

In general, they take your word for it, but if they have any reason to believe you might be, they can always try to verify it by calling the organizations you say you volunteered for. Alternatively, they can also ask you about your experiences doing X in an interview, and they can usually smell BS answers.

In summary, don't lie about anything on your app; if you lie and it works, it might help you a little bit, but if it comes out, you're screwed.

I just have a general question about the resume process, how would they know if you actually volunteered the amount of time you said. Is it necessary to have and tangible evidence or do they just take your word for it?

A good logical thinker can pick something like this out. If you have a job and work 20 hours a week, that gives you very little time to do other stuff besides classes. If you said you volunteered on average of 5 hours a week, you would be ok. If you said you volunteered on average of 10 to 20 hours a week, I would check on it.

Just be honest. The truth is, and it shouldn't be shocking, a good high percentage of applicants to any graduate school "up" their EC stuff from what the truth is.

Members don't see this ad :)
In general, they take your word for it, but if they have any reason to believe you might be, they can always try to verify it by calling the organizations you say you volunteered for. Alternatively, they can also ask you about your experiences doing X in an interview, and they can usually smell BS answers.

In summary, don't lie about anything on your app; if you lie and it works, it might help you a little bit, but if it comes out, you're screwed.

Exactly, even if a little fudge in your numbers helps you, if you're caught lieing you will be dismissed and if you don't get caught, it will hang in your conscious throughout your life.

A good logical thinker can pick something like this out. If you have a job and work 20 hours a week, that gives you very little time to do other stuff besides classes. If you said you volunteered on average of 5 hours a week, you would be ok. If you said you volunteered on average of 10 to 20 hours a week, I would check on it.

Just be honest. The truth is, and it shouldn't be shocking, a good high percentage of applicants to any graduate school "up" their EC stuff from what the truth is.

I pretty much assumed that would occur. I'm personally not intending on lying about my resume because I would not want to get caught in a lie, that would be just terrible.

It is customary, when listing an experience, to add at the end of the narrative describing the experience, the contact information of someone who can vouch for you, like name, title, phone # or e-mail, maybe address. The institution name is asked for at the beginning, but the other info you add on your own. This is also the place where one can total the accumulated hours.

Thank you for all of your insight it is greatly appreciated.