General question about Secondary Essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

juiceman311

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Example: MCG's secondary asks quite plainly and simply, "In your own words, explain your motivation for seeking a career in medicine."

How do you approach such essays? I have about half a page to work with, do you answer it straight up, or do you use personal statement-ish tactics and try to make it memorable while still answering it? Not sure if I make sense, so basically, how do you approach secondary essays? How much weight is put into them, etc.
 
F-n A! I just answer it straight up, giving a clear example, stating why I gave the example, and making sure I obviously answer the question. They give us word limits because they just want us to answer the question. You don't have time for flowers and $hits and giggles in 2500 characters (including spaces!) or less. That's all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Say it eloquently/concisely and you can be both creative and to the point.
 
just an odd question here......when is the last date a secondary should be finished.....and i dont mean the school deadlines...i mean to have a good chance....as i am still waiting on a reccomender to finish the letter.....probably will be done aroundlate septemeber....is that too late?
 
Each time I try to answer this question, I feel like I'm simply regurgitating whatever is in MSAR/the school's website. I'm sure schools want some evidence that you've done some reading about them, but how can I make this answer more personal? Is that even what they're looking for?

*I guess, "Cuz I want a MD won't suffice"
 
DR. EUGENIC said:
just an odd question here......when is the last date a secondary should be finished.....and i dont mean the school deadlines...i mean to have a good chance....as i am still waiting on a reccomender to finish the letter.....probably will be done aroundlate septemeber....is that too late?

Late september does sound a bit late. some ppl have already gotten interview invites and many have started sending out secondaries. i would say that u should aim for august if u took the april MCAT.