General question about Secondary Essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juiceman311

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Example: MCG's secondary asks quite plainly and simply, "In your own words, explain your motivation for seeking a career in medicine."

How do you approach such essays? I have about half a page to work with, do you answer it straight up, or do you use personal statement-ish tactics and try to make it memorable while still answering it? Not sure if I make sense, so basically, how do you approach secondary essays? How much weight is put into them, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Give me your f-n opinions.

F-n A! I just answer it straight up, giving a clear example, stating why I gave the example, and making sure I obviously answer the question. They give us word limits because they just want us to answer the question. You don't have time for flowers and $hits and giggles in 2500 characters (including spaces!) or less. That's all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, that's the **** I want to hear.

Here's a thread to the same question: It seems to be about half and half people who approach it directly and creatively, so it seems like you can't go wrong either way. Though I would say you should only go for creative if you have enough space.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=297712

Say it eloquently/concisely and you can be both creative and to the point.

just an odd question here......when is the last date a secondary should be finished.....and i dont mean the school deadlines...i mean to have a good chance....as i am still waiting on a reccomender to finish the letter.....probably will be done aroundlate septemeber....is that too late?

Each time I try to answer this question, I feel like I'm simply regurgitating whatever is in MSAR/the school's website. I'm sure schools want some evidence that you've done some reading about them, but how can I make this answer more personal? Is that even what they're looking for?

*I guess, "Cuz I want a MD won't suffice"

DR. EUGENIC said:
just an odd question here......when is the last date a secondary should be finished.....and i dont mean the school deadlines...i mean to have a good chance....as i am still waiting on a reccomender to finish the letter.....probably will be done aroundlate septemeber....is that too late?

Late september does sound a bit late. some ppl have already gotten interview invites and many have started sending out secondaries. i would say that u should aim for august if u took the april MCAT.