General question: what GPA/MCAT combo should a Black male achieve to have a realistic shot at T20 schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billnyethefly

Reaction score
Hello! I’m an A-A male who will be applying next spring. I’m also low-income, first-gen, gay, and have a good life story — what GPA/MCAT numbers should I be looking to achieve to get to a T20 school?

Members don't see this ad.

3.4 and 510 along with the usual ECs.

Your job, however, is to get into A medical school, not merely a T20 (which includes some 30 schools). What if Drexel, Albany or Creighton are your only accepts?

Reactions: 1 user
What GPA and MCAT numbers do you have? The folks here will be happy to help you make a school list based on your stats. If you have a 3.9/519 with a great application, you'll have your pick.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What GPA and MCAT numbers do you have? The folks here will be happy to help you make a school list based on your stats. If you have a 3.9/519 with a great application, you'll have your pick.
With OP's background, I believe OP can get away with much lower stats, but yes I agree that the WAMC thread is best for this

You'll need to prove that you have the ability to keep up with the high flyers. You don't want to end up in the bottom 2% of the class on every exam and end up flunking out. So, what numbers would provide that assurance. Buy access to MSAR, look at the 10th percentile for each school you consider T20 and aim for MCAT and GPA above that 10th percentile.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Just spitballing: I think 3.7/512 would give you a really solid shot at a T20.

A 3.4, really? I am assuming those are reasonable numbers are for AA males to get into A medical school not top 20's right? I am biracial (half black/half white), would this apply to me as well??
The average AA matriculant has a 3.5/505 so I think a 3.4 is too low for T20s.

Reactions: 1 users
N=1 but have interviewed at 15 of “top 20-25” schools with 3.55 and 522. Though, definitely a non-trad, multiple basic science papers , dedication to URM students and Minority / underserved communities.

Have an acceptance to Sinai, time will tell if I have acceptances elsewhere, but when it comes to mcat, I think a low GPA (especially an improving trend) can definitely be offset by a high Mcat score. On the interview trail, I have seen other black applicants who are Fulbright scholars, have first author papers, have started really impactful programs in their communities, are d1 or professional athletes, etc. I don’t know their metrics, but make no mistake , schools still have plenty of options. Point being - do your best in school. A good gpa gives schools one less reason to pass on you and id assume increases your chances of merit aid.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
You can look at the acceptance rates per stats for different demographics.

But for "Top 20" one's stats still need to be high and one must showcase some exceptional things in the application. It's hard to predict because the top 20 schools are not at all homogeneous.

Why do you want to go to a top-20 (really top-50+) school? It's not to say you can't do it, but you need to understand your odds in general. I hope you are involved with SNMA and orgs like Black Men in White Coats.

3.6+/515+ with decent ECs, in your case. A 3.4/510 will make you a solid applicant for a medical school...but top 20s are going to want to see better stats than that unless there's a strong upward trend.