Please help me figure out if I have a shot at a MD school after getting the same MCAT score twice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc456

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.72. sGPA: 3.76. MCAT: 504 (128/124/125/127) and 504(128/123/126/127). URM TX resident. Graduated in 5/2021.

ECs:
  1. Nutrigenomics Research ~64 hours.
  2. Exoplanet Research ~64 hours
  3. Shadowed pediatric neurosurgeon. ~45 hours
  4. COVID Screener ~39 hours
  5. EMT at Sea World ~300 hours
  6. Volunteered at a soup kitchen while in college. ~48 hours
  7. Volunteer tutor for disadvantaged students ~540 hours
  8. Learning Assistant for online physics lab for senior year
I’m just wondering if I’m screwed for MD schools and if it’s worth bothering to apply to them next cycle. Is retaking worth it if I can manage to score a 514-515 on my third try? Or should I apply without taking the MCAT again? Or should I just give up on MD schools? If not, can anyone suggest a school list?

Thank y’all so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need more conventional non clinical volunteering, and tutoring counts under teaching. You have 87 hours, and you should strive for at least 150.

I wound connect with SNMA officers at the Texas schools. You have a shot for in state DO and maybe MD if you get the nonclinical volunteering up.

As a URM in Texas you have a chance. Also apply to the two DO schools on the TMDSAS app, and I would recommend applying to about 10 other DO schools of your choice on AACOMAS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need more conventional non clinical volunteering, and tutoring counts under teaching. You have 87 hours, and you should strive for at least 150.

I wound connect with SNMA officers at the Texas schools. You have a shot for in state DO and maybe MD if you get the nonclinical volunteering up.
Oh I didn’t know that thank you for letting me know! I’ll be sure to volunteer at the food bank and network with the officers. Thank you!

As a URM in Texas you have a chance. Also apply to the two DO schools on the TMDSAS app, and I would recommend applying to about 10 other DO schools of your choice on AACOMAS.
For sure! That sounds like a good idea. Will do that after getting that physician LOR

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all your TMDSAS MD and DO schools and you should receive interviews. Also apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
UIWSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
PCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
NOVA
NYITCOM

Apply to all your TMDSAS MD and DO schools and you should receive interviews. Also apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
UIWSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
PCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
NOVA
NYITCOM
Thank y’all so much. I really appreciate the help