General Reading for Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryp

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beginning medical school and I have a strong interest in psychiatry. I have certainly been reading journal articles and books before now, but I've been focusing on my particular areas of interest.

I'm wondering what I can read to help round out my psychiatry knowledge base - any journals I should try to start keeping up with, or important foundational psychiatry textbooks I can work my way through on the side. Not something like First Aid or Case Files, because the shelf and the wards are still a long way away for me.

I just want to do some side reading to build my knowledge base, further explore psychiatry as a future career and keep my eye on the prize (my psychiatry block is a good two years away), plus when I start doing observerships, I'd like to have some idea what's going on.

Someone already recommended that I try The Psychiatric Interview in Clinical Practice.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well I hope you've looked through the "Readings" thread at the top of the Stickies on this forum for other good ideas, but at your level, I would endorse this new book as an introduction , and beyond that--just focus on learning to be a really good doctor right now.

I did read through the sticky, I just wasnt quite sure what would be the right level for me. I dont want to overkill it, just to have a little something on the side. Shrink Rap is a very good book - read it last month. Thanks :)