Resources for FM Resident (both in general and brief psych rotation)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sardonix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be starting a brief elective rotation on inpatient psychiatry in the hospital we work at. These will be in the form of 12hr shifts and there will only be about 10 or so of them in the next month, with clinic days in between.

Any resources you would recommend to help a simple FM resident like myself, either for this rotation or for clinic in general?

Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a mixed unit or specific to certain conditions (e.g. psychosis, geri, mood, etc.)?

Assuming it's a mixed unit, I would review the UTD (briefly) and AAFP by topic (for more of an FM context) articles on treatment of acute psychosis (including substance induced and FEP), acute mania, alcohol/benzo withdrawal, suicide risk assessments, borderline personality disorder, and stimulant and opioid use disorder and treatments. Review DSM-V for criteria of major conditions (including the personality disorders please). Ask your attending how they like the MSE documented and how they like the formulation/if they use a specific model.

If it's a specific type of unit, I'd put more emphasis on those conditions.

Keep in mind that AAFP has a tendency to list medications in alphabetical order on tables where multiple medications may be considered as treatments. I've talked to a couple categorical residents that thought Abilify was treatment of choice for bipolar disorder because it was at the top of a table on an AAFP article. Not saying it's a bad choice in certain situations, but it certainly would not be the first thing I reach for.

In terms of general resources for psychiatric treatment in primary care, the Primary Care Psychiatry Handbook is pretty solid. There's also Essentials of Psychiatry in Primary Care, but I'm not super familiar with it.

Reactions: 1 users