General ?s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hanman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
First time user, and im so greatful to have found this site. I am a freshman right now in pre-pharmacy with a 3.69 and my classes are going pretty good. On the other hand I do not have a major yet. Many have told me that that is ok, I don't need one but to be more competative it would be wise. Would i need to declare a major for this reason? Also, would a major in psychology be to random, or should i stick with a science? I think i really enjoy those classes and are somewhat interesting, even though pharmacy is my true goal. Also, Does job shadowing and volunteer work go on a honors system to be able to put that on your resume, or do you fill out forms or something? I have job shadowed before and got a lot out of it, but really don't have proof of doing it. Thanks for your time! Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow Nebraskan!

Your GPA is quite fine, even for UNMC if you fancy that school. Given that Creighton, UNMC, and other schools still take people without degrees, a lack of a major is not a huge detriment to the application. The choice of a major is less relevant if you can show that you can do well in the science courses that you do take.

As for job shadowing and volunteer work is on the honor system for the PharmCAS app. A great way to bolster and corroborate those experiences is to get LORs from the people involved. Getting a letter from a pharmacist that corresponds to that experience removes many doubts if any. You have time to get more experience.

ah ic,
Well, as far as valunteering, i know i should get some hours by volunteering at a hospital and all, but can i volunteer service anywhere/?and then put that on my resume...and when im done wont i get a slip or some sheet saying the hours i have volunteered..like a soup kitchen down the block from unl?..haha pry a stupid question

Agreed with Omnione. Major doesn't matter - mine was Interior Design! What matters is how you do in your science classes. If you are a biology major with mostly C's versus an Interior Design major whose science pre-reqs are mostly A's...who would you take?