General Studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newtonjc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to schools this summer without a completed degree (many schools state that if you've completed all prerequisites and at least 90 credit hours, you're eligible). I'm a Physical Education B.S. major, with a minor in Chem. Due to poor scheduling, for me to complete my degree it would take three more semesters and a "summer camp" course. If I switch to the general studies major, I could get it done in two.

To my knowledge, schools that require a degree usually specify a B.S. or a B.A., but the degree granted would be a B.G.S. - I would no longer be eligible for these schools (but am alright with this). On the other hand, I could complete an entire semester of the general studies program online, while volunteering in a clinic abroad.

The sacrifice is my working towards a useless degree, in order to gain some international experience. Also, wouldn't a four-year degree of any kind put me in a better position when applying to a medical school that doesn't require one?

Is the trade-off worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

With today's competition, I wouldn't apply without intending to have or finish a BA/BS before medical matriculation.

Man, not even for a one-month clinical immersion program in Kenya? I've been corresponding with the hospital who would host me, I would live with a physician and work either at the hospital or in community centers throughout my stay. I could even double it to be an observational research project for the diversity credit I need in the B.G.S.

Is the BA/BS that important for a DO that that sort of experience doesn't compensate?

Thanks!

(Just realized I unintentionally posted this in the allopathic section... if that changes anything)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is allo/osteo chances forum. I think I may have misread as you saying you'd just get your general studies done i.e. gen ed. It seems you'll be granted a bachelors degree. If you are, you're good to go. BA/BS is just the most simple way of categorizing it, but there are people with BSN. B.Arch, B.M., etc. that are treated the same way as a BS/BA. As long as you have a Bachelors degree, I believe you'll be fine.

This is confusing.

Are you going to have a degree by the time of planned matriculation, or not?

If I were to stay on my current track, no. If I switch to general studies, yes - and the last course I would have to take could be taken as a volunteer in a Kenyan health clinic. But, it's a degree in general studies... The degree of indecision. I'm asking if this trade off is worth it.

I think it's fine, as long as you have a degree of some kind. There's no required degree for medical school, just make sure you have one. The experience in Kenya sounds like good material for interviews, and a great experience in general. Go for it if that's what you really want to do.