Originally posted by Celiac Plexus
T+15 days.... 😉
Thanks for the replies Surg, and Kimberly. I appreciate it.
I guess I'm a little jumpy about the whole process.
What do y'all know about the following programs:
UVA
Emory
Univ. of Kentucky
Univ. of Louisville
Northwestern
Any current residents out there with current info? Surg, and Kimberly do you guys know about these programs. I am particularly interested in these programs, and any info. would be helpful.
Thanks again. I wish there was something I knew that I could tell you and be helpful to you....😀
Too bad I know nuttin' about nuttin'. 😀
Hi there,
I am at UVA and this place is heaven on earth. The teaching is off the scale and I am getting as much OR time as I can handle. There are plenty of opportunities to get into the OR and all of my attending physicians love to teach. I haven't encountered any attendings who were not totally patient with their junior resident's learning curve as long as you are working hard to improve your skills.
This is not the program for a laid-back non academic person. There are two years of mandatory research making this a seven-year program. The hospital is very nice and Charlottesville is a very affordable college town with good access to Richmond and Washington, DC. You as a resident will also have to rotate through the VA hospital in Salem, VA which is about 100 miles away. This can be pretty difficult if you have a young family but lots of fun if you are single.
My hours are still pretty long but the new rules go into effect in July 2003. My program director is totally awesome and is carefully weighing options to keep the teaching levels high here at UVA. Dr. Schirmer really makes this program a super learning enviroment. This year we did not fill but he opted to leave positions unfilled rather than fill them with unqualified people. There is little room to make mistakes here and everyone pulls their weight. I really enjoy the demands and the high expectations of the faculty. The faculty demands much of their residents but they teach and are very interested in our professional development. The nice thing is that many of them are text book authors(Irving Kron, M.D.;Craig Slingluff, M.D.) and world authorities (Bruce Schirmer, M.D. laproscopic surgery) in their specialties. They could be anywhere in the country yet they choose to be here in Charlottesville.
The faculty is pretty diverse having trained at places like Duke, Harvard, UVA, Minnesota, Lahey Clinic and Pittsburg. This program is pretty complete offering experiences in transplant, burns, plastics, neurosurgery, pediatric surgery, thoracic, cardiovascular and vascular surgery. Most of the trauma here is blunt but we get an occasional penetrating trauma. Our lack of penetrating trauma is perhaps the only weakness of this program. All of the graduating chiefs this year have been accepted into fellowships. This program primarily trains academic surgeons. There is also a pretty good number of folks who have the MD, Ph.D combination in this program. My main reason fro choosing UVA was the great combination of academics,research and OR time.
The hospital is completely modern and everything is computerized. The nursing care is very good also especially on the Cardiovascular services. There are no poor support services at UVA. There are plenty of services for the residents such as an in-house gym and very generous meal allowance. I usually have so much meal money left over at the end of the month that I end up treating the nurses to lunch. It is very difficult to use up your meal card allowance even if you eat all three meals here.
Anymore questions about UVA, feel free to e-mail me.
njbmd
😎