General Surgery Research Amount

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voxveritatisetlucis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, I’ve been considering general surgery however have been getting frustrated on the lack of progress in research projects. The school has very limited opportunities for clinical research and basic science projects are so unpredictable. Of course, I’m going to stick with the project but was just wondering how much research is needed for general surgery from a low tier USMD school. I’m fine with going to a community program as not really considering fellowship and definitely not considering plastics, peds, or surg onc. Would somebody with no pubs, high step be able to match. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Recently, I’ve been considering general surgery however have been getting frustrated on the lack of progress in research projects. The school has very limited opportunities for clinical research and basic science projects are so unpredictable. Of course, I’m going to stick with the project but was just wondering how much research is needed for general surgery from a low tier USMD school. I’m fine with going to a community program as not really considering fellowship and definitely not considering plastics, peds, or surg onc. Would somebody with no pubs, high step be able to match. Thanks in advance
If you are not aiming high, maybe some random abstracts suffice.

Reactions: 1 user
General surgery isn't particularly competitive as a specialty so shouldn't be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you say more or less than radiology?

Maybe marginally more competitive than DR but you can consider them as rough equals in terms of competitiveness. The %Match, CK score, %AOA, and Abstracts/Presentations/Publications are nearly identical for matched applicants between the two. GS had slightly more NIH T40 matches (33%) compared to DR (27%).

I think DR is probably a good comparison in competitiveness.

If you can get 1 pub and a few posters you’ll be just fine in terms of research. Those people can even match 7 year academic programs if they have the scores and a good vision for their academic future.

If you really don’t care if academic can community then good scores and a few posters should get you into a strong community or hybrid program.

I think DR is probably a good comparison in competitiveness.

If you can get 1 pub and a few posters you’ll be just fine in terms of research. Those people can even match 7 year academic programs if they have the scores and a good vision for their academic future.

If you really don’t care if academic can community then good scores and a few posters should get you into a strong community or hybrid program.
Would a case report/series plus a few abstracts be enough in your opinion?

It all depends. For any specialty, you're going to need to show some research productivity to be competitive for the top academic programs in that field. If you just care about matching into the field and not so much the caliber of the program, then it will matter less. With that being said, the uber competitive specialties will still require you to have research to match into the lower caliber programs in that field because of the sheer number of applicants and their relative competitiveness. General surgery is not one of those specialties.