General Surgery Residency chances for a Non-US IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgeonAtlas

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm applying this year to general surgery residency and I'd like to ask you about my chances to match.

Background: Non-US IMG, 1 year since graduation, Step 1 265, Step 2 CK 268, CS 1st attempt, 3 research experiences with one oral presentation and two papers pending publication, 3 observerships. I'm going to do observerships in Cleveland Clinic Florida and Cleveland Clinic, OH next August and September and hopefully get recent LORs from them. No hands-on rotation though.

I'm applying to categorical and preliminary but I read that I am more likely to match in a preliminary since I am an IMG. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you from and how is your english?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I'm applying this year to general surgery residency and I'd like to ask you about my chances to match.

Background: Non-US IMG, 1 year since graduation, Step 1 265, Step 2 CK 268, CS 1st attempt, 3 research experiences with one oral presentation and two papers pending publication, 3 observerships. I'm going to do observerships in Cleveland Clinic Florida and Cleveland Clinic, OH next August and September and hopefully get recent LORs from them. No hands-on rotation though.

I'm applying to categorical and preliminary but I read that I am more likely to match in a preliminary since I am an IMG. What are my chances?
No one can tell you exactly what your chances are.

Clearly, your USMLE scores are excellent and you have more research experience than most.

There's nothing you can do about the lack of US clinical experience; generally we advise coming here for a rotation during medical school. You also cannot change your date of graduation, but it sounds as if you will be 2 years out at time of application (3 years at time of residency start). Do you have your ECFMG certificate? You should have this in hand at time of application.

The NRMP publishes data every year on match rates for IMGs/FMGs in each specialty. You can see that it is very low for Categorical Surgery. So while you should apply for programs within your reach (your Step 1 score would make you eligible everywhere if you were a US grad, but as a foreign grad without USCE and presumably needs a visa, your options are more limited), you would be well advised to also apply for Preliminary positions as these are generally easier to get.

No one can tell you exactly what your chances are.

Clearly, your USMLE scores are excellent and you have more research experience than most.

There's nothing you can do about the lack of US clinical experience; generally we advise coming here for a rotation during medical school. You also cannot change your date of graduation, but it sounds as if you will be 2 years out at time of application (3 years at time of residency start). Do you have your ECFMG certificate? You should have this in hand at time of application.

The NRMP publishes data every year on match rates for IMGs/FMGs in each specialty. You can see that it is very low for Categorical Surgery. So while you should apply for programs within your reach (your Step 1 score would make you eligible everywhere if you were a US grad, but as a foreign grad without USCE and presumably needs a visa, your options are more limited), you would be well advised to also apply for Preliminary positions as these are generally easier to get.
Thank you for your reply, I know my chances are scarce because I am an IMG but I was hoping to know someone that was in my situation and did (or didn't) Match. I know I only have US observerships but hands-on rotations in surgery for IMGs are almost utopic. My idea was to apply for both prelim and categorical, about 100-150 programs at least. Anyway, thanks for your help guys, being an outsider and not knowing someone with my characteristics and experience is hard and makes me doubtful about the future.

I'd appreciate any other comment or opinion. I'll let you know how the process is going :)

I was in a similar position a few (ok, several) years ago. There are a lot of IMGs with great scores, publications, etc etc. Many have clinical electives (you can do hands-on clinical electives as long as you're still a med student in another country) or research in the US (opportunity to make US connections). You could consider spending a couple of years doing research in the US if you really want to aim for a categorical spot (chances will still be somewhat slim). IMGs are generally perceived as a risky investment by most PDs (and generally rightfully so, due to differences in culture, language, education/healthcare system, homesickness etc). The risk is higher for smaller programs (greater impact if one resident is incompetent/leaves) but the larger academic programs try to avoid the "stain" of hiring IMGs.

What you really need is for someone to vouch for you- ie send a few emails or pick up the phone and call a few PDs. Even if your experience was not hands-on, it is very important. Then your application will be reviewed and you may get a chance for an interview. Once you're at the interview, you have the chance to amaze them.

In terms of categorical/prelim, I would say that you have a chance for categorical if some US faculty support you (again, the most important variable of this equation). You could most likely get a prelim position at a good program unless there's a red flag in your app. Some programs have been more IMG-friendly in the past, you can look it up in older threads. You should probably apply very broadly (as you mentioned). Go to all the interviews, be super-likable, and hope for the best. Most people advise to rank all categoricals before any prelim, but YMMV depending on your long-term aspirations and comfort with high risk/stress situations.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your answer, you have been really helpful. I will be rotating next 2 months with PDs so hopefully they can help me and write me good LORs. Let's hope for the best

Reactions: 1 user