General surgery residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SharingLemons

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone have an inside scoop on the following programs? Scutwork.com needs to be updated!!

Baylor College of Medicine (houston) --are they recpetive to DO's within surgery?
Dartmouth
UNLV
Temple
University of Arizona
University of Colorado
KU (wichita)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, UNLV, u of arizona, u of Colorado, temple, ku have had DOs in the past, but does anyone have any personal experience with these programs? ....you only learn a limited amount about each when visiting their sites or talking to the residency coordinator. What do you think of BCM and their openess towards DOs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Take heart, though. You can always mosey across the street to UT Houston. Their program has 1 DO so far.

Yes, UNLV, u of arizona, u of Colorado, temple, ku have had DOs in the past, but does anyone have any personal experience with these programs? ....you only learn a limited amount about each when visiting their sites or talking to the residency coordinator. What do you think of BCM and their openess towards DOs?

We have a DO here at the PGY-2 level. His step scores were ridiculous, and he interviewed well, and I think he was ranked higher than most of the MDs we interviewed that year.

I have to admit that I was initially worried about the stigma of having a DO, and thought it would be a red flag to our MD applicants. However, we still get excellent MD applicants, match the people we want, and the DO has turned out to be an exceptional resident.

I think our experience with him has left us more open to accepting DOs in general. Of course, it's still an uphill battle. You can read my comments in this thread for more info on the matter.

Plan on taking USMLE to be competitive with the MDs, COMLEX is scored completely differently.

Plan on taking USMLE to be competitive with the MDs, COMLEX is scored completely differently.
I must agree. Yes, it is a pain to have to take the USMLE. However, all the PDs I spoke with during residency and over the years say the same thing.... I don't know what to do with a comlex score, it's like apples and orages and I have more oranges to pick from then these stray apples. If you are a DO, you should take all your DO exams. But, that does not necessarily prevent you from taking USMLE step 1 which the score the PDs all look at in applicants.

USMLE and COMLEX taken, two digit score of 99 on both so not a problem. Just trying to research which academic programs are open to accepting DO. There are still those programs that won't look at DO regardless of USMLE scores....playing field isn't exactly level in that regard

The hard question is: Do you believe that to be unfair?

Not a hard question. More of a ridiculous question. But I'll assume we'll have to agree to disagree. It's unfortunate some judge me differently based on two simple letters behind my name although I've proven myself to be just as competent, and perhaps more so than my MD counterparts.

Not a hard question. More of a ridiculous question. But I'll assume we'll have to agree to disagree. It's unfortunate some judge me differently based on two simple letters behind my name although I've proven myself to be just as competent, and perhaps more so than my MD counterparts.

You'll be judged a lot throughout your surgical career. I wouldn't develop a big stick up your @#s just yet.

It's quite possible that you are equal or better to an MD, but where's the proof you claim? Is it the USMLE? Is that how we judge a person's clinical skills? Is it your letters? Don't MDs have letters as well, and possibly from surgeons that the PDs know better and trust?

I think that a lot of the bias against DOs has to do with the fact that your worth is unproven. Nobody cares about your super-unique story that landed you in DO school despite acceptances to all the top Ivy League allopathic schools. The fact is that DO schools are easier to get into, and the overall applicant pool is not as accomplished. Therefore, you're not a sure thing, so PDs will go with the product that they feel is more secure.

Someone who graduated from Harvard or another "top 10" equivalent is going to get preferential treatment over someone from State U. You'll get preference over a Caribbean grad....that all seems pretty fair to me.

Your med school says a lot about you. It's says "here's what I accomplished prior to medical school." Mine, for instance, shows that I was brainwashed by the Jesuits (12 straight years), and enjoy bullets whizzing by my head. A SLU degree will never open as many doors as a Harvard one, but I accepted that, regardless of how I felt I matched up individually to those people.

Anyway, I think I already stated in this thread that my experience with DOs has been relatively positive. I just think it's important that you don't get too much of a chip on your shoulder, or you'll go into the interview process defensive with something to prove, and it will ultimately hurt your chances of matching.

SLUser, I'll take your opinion into consideration. However, let's turn our attention back to what this thread was originally created for - discussing general surgery residencies with a good track record of accepting and graduating DO's.

SLUser, I'll take your opinion into consideration. However, let's turn our attention back to what this thread was originally created for - discussing general surgery residencies with a good track record of accepting and graduating DO's.

I don't think this information can be provided as it does not exist. The thing is that while there are programs that have taken and trained DOs, it is not a regular thing at most places, even those that have accpeted DOs in the past. It really is a year to year thing and is heavily based on you as an applicant. I interviewed at and ranked a prestigious program as my top choice that had never interviewed a DO let alone accept one. But, I matched there. I never expected it, I just gave it my best and it worked out for me. However, at the same time, I also applied to U of A and Ohio State, which had both taken DOs from MY SCHOOL in the past. Neither one gave me an interview. Why? I don't know. I know my application wasn't the issue.

So what you have to do is find the programs that you like and then do everything in your power to impress them (Grades, boards, letters of rec, sub-Is, and meeting with PD and letting them know you love them). That is it. What you will find is some places that were open to DOs last year will not be this year and some places that would never interview one, will like you and take you. Good luck.

I don't think this information can be provided as it does not exist. The thing is that while there are programs that have taken and trained DOs, it is not a regular thing at most places, even those that have accpeted DOs in the past. It really is a year to year thing and is heavily based on you as an applicant. I interviewed at and ranked a prestigious program as my top choice that had never interviewed a DO let alone accept one. But, I matched there. I never expected it, I just gave it my best and it worked out for me. However, at the same time, I also applied to U of A and Ohio State, which had both taken DOs from MY SCHOOL in the past. Neither one gave me an interview. Why? I don't know. I know my application wasn't the issue.

So what you have to do is find the programs that you like and then do everything in your power to impress them (Grades, boards, letters of rec, sub-Is, and meeting with PD and letting them know you love them). That is it. What you will find is some places that were open to DOs last year will not be this year and some places that would never interview one, will like you and take you. Good luck.

Just because a residency program hasn't taken an osteopathic physician before doesn't mean that they won't. If you don't apply, you will never know. goooooober has given you some good advice above.

It's up to you to do what needed to impress a program and get a match. As more and more osteopathic physicians graduate, more will be entering residencies outside of AOA residencies.

I can tell you that back in the dark ages when I applied to residency, most of the programs that interviewed me had never taken a person that was my age. Well one did and that's history. Make yourself competitive and don't limit yourself. If you apply to enough programs and get enough places to have at least 15 solid ranks, you stand a good chance of matching whether MD or DO.